GTX 1070 25% disabled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zomb0matic

Honorable
Mar 14, 2014
I read the other day that the GTX 1070 is just like the 1080, but has 25% of its cuda cores disabled. Is it not possible to ever enable them again? There was a bug that allowed some 4gb RX 480s to turn in 8gb models, so can't the disabled cores in the 1070 be enabled? Sorry if this question seems dumb. I'm a noob when it comes to stuff like this.

Solution
ATM nobody has found a way to turn them on. I wouldnt actually say if its impossible but pretty sure it is... Anyways besides it is a product that has been taking down in performance by the own manufacturers intentionally it would only get a bit closer to what a vainilla 1080 is capable off...

Ramlethal

Estimable
ATM nobody has found a way to turn them on. I wouldnt actually say if its impossible but pretty sure it is... Anyways besides it is a product that has been taking down in performance by the own manufacturers intentionally it would only get a bit closer to what a vainilla 1080 is capable off...

Solution

in case of RX480 AMD purposely disabled those VRAM via BIOS so they have 4GB card to sell on launch. but you did not see any board partner 4GB card can turn into 8GB card.

the disabled cuda core in 1070 is permanently disabled. no BIOS mod can enable them back.

At least for the past decade, Nvidia GPU's have never be able to do this. AMD on the other hand, has have several that have. Nvidia seems to be a bit more vigilant in their cut down parts. I doubt that will change.

If it was possible, I'm certain it would have been discovered by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.