Question GTX 1070 Aero ITX - from 300 to 90+ fps

jamdrelik

Reputable
May 6, 2019
It's like I'm running into at least one problem a day (well, most of them were no real problems or I've overlooked something).

This time the FPS got reduced to 1/3 ( from 300 to 90+ fps [2000fps in main menu] in The Witcher 1 EE)

What I've tried:
-Uninstalled driver using DDU and Re-installed the newest driver
- Installed older driver (only installing audio, physx and graphic driver)
-Changed Power Plan to High Performance
-Changed Nvidia setting to Prefer Max Performance
-Disabled DVR (Xbox Gamebar)

Nothing helped.

Example:
View: https://imgur.com/gfzLKAF

I don't know what to do anymore

PS: I do know that having anything above 60fps on a 60hz TV/Monitor is pointless (it's just for testing purposes) but it's still not normal to "lose" 2/3 of your fps.
True. I'll need to upgrade PSU+Ram, but I had those 300 fps with my current ram and psu so that shouldn't be the problem exspecially not with an old game like Witcher EE.

jamdrelik

Reputable
May 6, 2019
well windows 10 ver 17763.504 is the version I am running which is a lot different to yours
Is that the 2018 October Update?
I can't go back any further than KB4023057 and it's updating to KB4505064 as we "speak".

@Metal Messiah.: The PSU is unbrand 500w (but I had 300+ fps with that very PSU before)
I can't really tell if it's only with The Witcher but my FPS in AC Odyssey and The Evil Within2 do not match with what others (same rig) are getting (made another thread last thursday - was about getting 15-30fps less and not 1/3 of my original fps so we thought the cause is a bad PSU and single 8gb Ram)

Edit: Just enabled Volt monitoring OSD and while in Main Menu it's on 1,062 with ~2000 fps it's 0,800 ingame. I don't know if that is normal, though

Last edited:
The PSU is unbrand 500w (but I had 300+ fps with that very PSU before)

That's the problem. Using a generic no-brand PSU model is NOT recommended for gaming PCs. Even though you might be getting better performance with this power supply before, but if the PSU is of poor/inferior quality, then it might start giving some trouble at a later stage.

A low-quality PSU is going to deteriorate sooner than a high-quality power unit. Please do not skimp, or cheap out on the PSU. This is the MOST important PC component. Power supplies are an imperative part of your system that should not be taken lightly. Throwing in a budget PSU could result in poor power efficiency or even a wrecked system.

jamdrelik

Reputable
May 6, 2019

jamdrelik

Reputable
May 6, 2019
I just noticed that it can't be the PSU (well, I'll still buy a better one, that case is closed), because AC Odyssey still runs at ~45FPS Very High @1080p (Fog and Cloud - Medium - setting it to high or low isn't making any difference though)

It's still stuttering and dropping below what others have no matter the resolution or settings (benchmark and youtube vids - see other thread), but that's exactly what a new PSU/Ram will change.

The Witcher EE on the other hand should still be running at 300fps ingame and not at 50-60 fps with stutter lol
So it's the exception.
-Why is it only this game and why now?-
View: https://imgur.com/a/2vc4nBP

I'll keep on uninstalling/installing Nvidia drivers (using DDU) from oldest to newest, maybe one is working better.

It can't be the PSU since other games run as usual (with microstutter/fps drops)

It's driving me nuts, really.

I don't expect that there's gonna be someone who's giving me the magical answer, but one can hope~