[SOLVED] GTX 1070 Aero OC and GTX 1070 Armor OC - SLI

jamdrelik

Reputable
May 6, 2019
Hey
So yeah, I'm getting another GTX 1070 next week and I thought why not try SLI?

Two things came to my mind:
  1. Will my 650w PSU be enough?
  2. Can you SLI two different 1070? The aero is itx with one fan while the armor is larger with two fans.

My Specs:
CPU i7 8700k
PSU: Seasoni 650w platinum
ASUS RoG Strix Z390-E
Corsair 16GB RAM 2666

Solution
So wouldn't it be worth it then?

Going for an SLI setup ? My honest answer would be NO......At least I won't recommend an SLI setup. Like I said before, not many GAMES support SLI, so you won't even notice any performance GAIN, if the GAME's ENGINE has not been coded for SLI, or any multi-GPU setup.

Having 2 cards will also increase the overall Power Consumption of your PC. But anyway, it's your wish. You need to decide whether you really want 2 of these cards on your system. You would be much better off selling this card, since you told the GPU is having COIL WHINE ?

But tell the buyer of this issue as well, else he is going to complain that you sold him a defective GPU, lol....Anyways, on a serious note, this is what...
Hello,

I think YES, we can SLI those 2 GPU models, as long as the specs match, CUDA cores for example. But, do NOT go for an SLI setup. It's not worth the hassle these days.

Not many Games scale well on an SLI setup. You would be MUCH better off buying a SINGLE powerful GPU instead.

Taken from Nvidia's FAQ:

Can I mix and match graphics cards that have different GPUs?
No. For example, an XXXGT cannot be paired with a XXXGTX in an SLI configuration.

Can I mix and match graphics cards from different manufacturers?
Using 180 or later graphics drivers, NVIDIA graphics cards from different manufacturers can be used together in an SLI configuration. For example, a GeForce XXXGT from manufacturer ABC can be matched with a GeForce XXXGT from manufacturer XYZ.

Can I mix and match graphics cards if one of them is overclocked by the manufacturer?

Yes. A GeForce XXXX GTX that is overclocked can be mixed with a standard clocked GeForce XXXX GTX.

Reactions: jamdrelik

jamdrelik

Reputable
May 6, 2019
Thanks for your reply.

Well, I'm not really GOING for a SLI, but I want to take advantage of my situation.
Else I'd sell my current GTX as it has slight coil whine and microstutter (I've tried MANY things and at the end the gtx was the only constant).
So wouldn't it be worth it then? I'm not losing anything and I won't buy anything expensive (at least not for entertainment purposes) in the next year, as I've got Bills to pay.

And the most important question is if my PSU is enough.

I've messed up with opening this thread, though, should've read the FAQ.

So wouldn't it be worth it then?

Going for an SLI setup ? My honest answer would be NO......At least I won't recommend an SLI setup. Like I said before, not many GAMES support SLI, so you won't even notice any performance GAIN, if the GAME's ENGINE has not been coded for SLI, or any multi-GPU setup.

Having 2 cards will also increase the overall Power Consumption of your PC. But anyway, it's your wish. You need to decide whether you really want 2 of these cards on your system. You would be much better off selling this card, since you told the GPU is having COIL WHINE ?

But tell the buyer of this issue as well, else he is going to complain that you sold him a defective GPU, lol....Anyways, on a serious note, this is what GURU3D recommends for an GTX 1070 SLI setup, regarding the PSU::
  • GeForce GTX 1070 SLI - On your average system the cards we recommend a 650~700 Watts power supply unit.
You are already having a very good PSU though. Seasonic 650w platinum.

I've messed up with opening this thread, though, should've read the FAQ.

Nope, you didn't mess up anything. That was just a curious question from your side. No worries here.

Last edited:
Solution

jamdrelik

Reputable
May 6, 2019
Yes, you're probably right.
I'll sell my current GTX 1070, maybe saving for a high end gpu, then selling the other GTX1070, too.

Yes, of course I'll add coil whine to the description, but I wouldn't call it a defect, it's annoying, though.
I always offer the option for the buyer to personally pick it up, so that they can test the product before paying. :)

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

jamdrelik

Reputable
May 6, 2019
Well I've got only one at the moment, the coil whine/micro stutter one but I saw a real good offer on ebay from someone who is testing GPUs and selling them in numbers of 4 or even 6 at the same time and 200€ for each (they are like new).
I'm protected by ebay and he has some nice user reviews, so that should be fine

I thought this could rid me of microstutter, coil whine and earn me 30-50 bucks when I'm selling my current gtx for 230-260€ (maybe less because of coil whine), then I'll save another 300€ and sell the gpu that arrives next week (but I plan on using it for at least a year before upgrading) and finally buying something like a 1080ti in one and a half year.

jamdrelik

Reputable
May 6, 2019
No, they're almost completely new, he specifically said "used for testing purposes" whatever that is supposed to mean, but other Buyers of those GPU confirmed that they are indeed like new, you can fake some user-reviews, though.

Guess I've got to wait and see, worst case I've got to open a case through ebay-buyer-protection

No, they're almost completely new, he specifically said "used for testing purposes" whatever that is supposed to mean, but other Buyers of those GPU confirmed that they are indeed like new, you can fake some user-reviews, though.

Guess I've got to wait and see, worst case I've got to open a case through ebay-buyer-protection

Yes. Just be careful while buying any used GPU.