Question GTX 1070 Aorus High tems (Above 90° Celsius)

Jul 22, 2019
Hi all, recently i bought a second hand GTX 1070 Aorus which was used for mining, i got it from around 1 month and since i bought it, i had some issues with the GPU size. My motherboard is a Z97M Pro 4 (LGA 1150, MATX mobo) and when i tried to plug in the GPU it was always crashing with the RAM brackets so i put it in the second PCI-E slot which is a X8 instead of X16 and i didn't want to lose performance so i took the backplate away and since then i'm facing the high temps issue.

It goes from 24/25° Celsius to 85/95° under load, with a 12° ambient temperature, my case (Cougar MX330) has 4x 120mm and the air is flowing properly, before i removed the backplate the card max temp was around 77°. I want to know if maybe should i put back the backplate and change the chip thermal paste (it's dry already) or if maybe i didn't screw it properly so the heatsink isn't cooling at all and that's why my card is reaching that temperatures.

The fan speed is reaching the 100% and in the past the peak was always around 60 to 70% but the temps were much better. I appreciate any help :)

Most GPU's don't use the backplate for cooling, its an aesthetic piece. Although if there were thermal pads on the backplate maybe was doing some sort of cooling.

you should redo the thermal paste and see if temps improve, it sounds like you may have loosened some part of the actual cooler when you removed the backplate.

Jul 22, 2019
Most GPU's don't use the backplate for cooling, its an aesthetic piece. Although if there were thermal pads on the backplate maybe was doing some sort of cooling.

you should redo the thermal paste and see if temps improve, it sounds like you may have loosened some part of the actual cooler when you removed the backplate.
Yes, actually the backplate has a lot of thermal pads, i thought that it was weird since i did read a lot of post before doing it and in all i found that it was only an aesthetic piece.

I'll put it back and test my temps again, but i'm mostly sure that the old thermal paste could have something to do with it.

I'll get back with updates as soon as i come to my home :) Thanks!

Jul 22, 2019

So i just came to my house and did a lot of test, changing the coolers inside my case, moving to the other PCI slot again and putting back the backplate and after that i got the below results:

1. I have to change the GPU thermal paste.
  2. The GPU runs cooler in the second PCI-E (the X8 one) between 3 and 6º degrees less. I assume that this is because it's getting the heat that cames out from the CPU heatsink while standing in the 1st slot.
  3. With the backplate runs even cooler, it didn't past 82 degrees (lol) but how i mentioned in my past coment: It has thermal pads and a copper plate which should be improving the temps.

Thanks for your help, i'm getting a new thermal paste and will apply it tomorrow.

Regards.

Jul 22, 2019
Good to see that manufactures are actually using the backplate for cooling i guess. Let us know how the new thermal paste works out.
Sorry for the delay on my response, yesterday night i changed the thermal paste and it's amazing how it's running now, between 50 and 62° full load, i even though that it was a mistake (any kind of bugg) and downloaded 3 different software to start monitoring the temps, but MSI afterburner, the openhardwaremonitor and the Aorus tool were giving the same results.

The problem that i have now is that the coolers are louder and looks like they are always working at 80-100% but i didn't make any change on the fans RPM, so i'll be checking that tonight.

Sorry for the delay on my response, yesterday night i changed the thermal paste and it's amazing how it's running now, between 50 and 62° full load, i even though that it was a mistake (any kind of bugg) and downloaded 3 different software to start monitoring the temps, but MSI afterburner, the openhardwaremonitor and the Aorus tool were giving the same results.

The problem that i have now is that the coolers are louder and looks like they are always working at 80-100% but i didn't make any change on the fans RPM, so i'll be checking that tonight.
Great, You should be able to mess with fan curves in MSI afterburner.

TRENDING THREADS