GTX 1070 - Asus vs EVGA vs MSI?

TeRaByTeFrEnZy

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016
G'day,

So I recently considered purchasing a GTX 1070, but I couldn't figure out which brand was the best for me. These are the options:

• EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 8GB Video Card
    Asus GeForce GTX 1070 ROG Strix Gaming OC 8GB Video Card
    MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8GB Video Card

I only want one from either Asus, EVGA or MSI, so please no suggesting other brands if that's okay. I realise that the EVGA specs state a higher clock speed, but it does this with a 215W power requirement, which is a notable 65W above MSI's 150W of power. As for ASUS, I wasn't able to find its power draw, so this makes me hesitant on that option. This leads me towards the MSI card, but what doesn't make sense is how the Asus card is able to achieve a boost clock of 1860 MHz with 1 8-pin connector, while the MSI needs a 6-pin and an 8-pin to achieve the lower 1797 MHz clock speed. Can anyone clarify? Anyone's help would be appreciated, but 1070 owners' input is especially valued.

Thanks!
- Ryan

Solution

I would just go for the cheapest one. I have the EVGA 1070 and it's really good! And as Chugalu_ said: their warranty is really good.

It's still your choice. I say, go for the cheapest one between those three. There is not a big difference between the performance. But I prefer EVGA.
Power draw/ factory clock speeds doesn't really matter much. Gpu boost will push to the max stable clocks automatically based on thermals. Plus pascal is already limited in terms of how much voltage it draws and how far your gpu can overclock will be based on your luck with silicon lottery.

frank_hnd

Honorable
Pascal requires only an 8 PIN connector to achieve its max. clock speeds.
in the past better power distribution was required to OC the chips to the max but with even smaller dyes less power is required. most cards have actually the same power draw during 100% GPU usage at the same clock speeds. for obvious marketing reasons they want you to think that the more power connectors the better, but you can see the FTW and Classified editions can achieve the same clock speeds. no need to over spend on a card.

I went with the Asus Strix OC for the following reasons:
- binned chips, so higher clock speeds are guaranteed. it will achieve 2000Mhz+ 100%
- awesome cooling system. 3 fans, very quiet and cool. (need to have enough clearance in your case)
- i loved the looks and it even provides 2 FAN pins which I needed since motherboard was missing 2 more to have 6 total fans in my case.

my second choice was the EVGA FTW, but not a fan of the temperatures I've seen on those, but still better than the MSI IMO.

theRTT

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
EVGA. The other ones are also good, but overpriced. They all give you around the same performance. If there will be a difference, you will not be able to notice it. I say, go for the cheapest one.

The temperatures from the EVGA gtx 1070 FTW are really good. The highest temperature I got was 71, playing GTA V for more than 2 hours on a hot summer day at 32 celsius. In normal circumstances the temperature of the EVGA gtx 1070 FTW is around 65 celsius. More often lower than higher.

TeRaByTeFrEnZy

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016
Indeed an Aussie here mate. However, buying this card from Umart is only $589 and it means I don't give up benefits of warranty or have to wait for it to ship. It's a minor difference I'd pay any day.

EVGA urge you to take any warranty claims through them rather than your retailer, inside the box of my FTW there was even a disclaimer.
All they need is an invoice for the purchase which would be made miles easier through Newegg given they're an official partner and an invoice can be easily found by them through a number.
EVGA's warranty is top notch, and is international. :)

But yeah, that's a good price for a 1070 for sure, go for that simply because you'll have it sooner.
I think you get Gears of War 4 if you get it from Newegg too, ask Umart if they can match this.

theRTT

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016

I would just go for the cheapest one. I have the EVGA 1070 and it's really good! And as Chugalu_ said: their warranty is really good.

It's still your choice. I say, go for the cheapest one between those three. There is not a big difference between the performance. But I prefer EVGA.

Solution