GTX 1070 best nvidia settings?

Solution
NV Control Panel? If so, and using a single monitor, the only settings I'd recommend touching from the default(s) are as follows:

Manage 3D Settings; Global:

Multi-Display/Mixed GPU Acceleration: SINGLE GPU
Power Management Mode: PREFER MAX PERFORMANCE
Preferred Refresh Rate: HIGHEST AVAILABLE

This is a starting point... I personally do not touch other settings. Others may advise tweaking other settings and give good reason for doing so... But these settings I've stated will help get the most out of your card (out-of-the-box), if not already set as such.

Sam Hain

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
NV Control Panel? If so, and using a single monitor, the only settings I'd recommend touching from the default(s) are as follows:

Manage 3D Settings; Global:

Multi-Display/Mixed GPU Acceleration: SINGLE GPU
Power Management Mode: PREFER MAX PERFORMANCE
Preferred Refresh Rate: HIGHEST AVAILABLE

This is a starting point... I personally do not touch other settings. Others may advise tweaking other settings and give good reason for doing so... But these settings I've stated will help get the most out of your card (out-of-the-box), if not already set as such.

Solution

ScreamSilence

Commendable
Feb 12, 2017

EDIT: I have added screens of best performance and best quality settings etc in the final answer I posted so scroll down :p

Do NOT set the power management settings to "prefer maximum performance like he said.

Max performance will make your card run at the max core clock and max voltage at ALL times leading to unnecessary heat and power consumption.

On the 1000 series cards the "optimal power" option allows the cards to down clock and down volt themselves to match the task at hand. This also allows them to have their fans idle at 0RPM.

The difference in performance at most I've seen a 1-3 frame drop when it's switching states for about 1 second or less. It's literally imperceptible.

Also if you have high performance CPU set your max pre rendered frames to 4. This will allow your CPU to render up to 4 frames in advance thus giving you up to a 4 frame boost. It's not much but it's something.

Also since the GTX1070 is a high performance graphics card unless you have a monitor with at least 120hz I don't recommend turning off VSync instead set Vsync to "Fast" the fast mode vsync renders all the frames as if you had vsync off, but drops the excess frames. This gives you the benefit of not having tearing without the input lag of Vsync.

I could give you a more complete list but I'm lazy. If I get a reply I'd be happy to oblige. Otherwise I won't waste my time on something that might not be read lol

Edit: I forgot to mention I've seen people say that Vsync fast stutters. But it hasn't stuttered for me so far. Alternatively you could leave it off and use Rivatuner (included in MSI Afterburner) and set a frame cap. From what I can recall the frame cap set in rivatuner doesn't have input lag. Although if that were true why would Nvidia create GSync? I shall remain skeptical mostly cause I have a GSync screen and don't like the idea of having been a tool XD.

ScreamSilence

Commendable
Feb 12, 2017
Best Performance
I use a 1080p 144Hz G Sync and I prefer my Frames above 100 so I normally use this. I can't really tell the difference in visual Quality anyway.

8693d36aac585be10070ccd789b4724c.png

857b1ccc2bd29755e723b18a9c26b476.png

There are two things I did not include which is
e59dd7947c719a60f94dc762e7111d30.png

I have it set to 4, but I am using a 6700K overclocked at 4.8Ghz. If you have a high end CPU go for it. otherwise use the 3d app settings.
and
cfe3b00826440722af775947d8aa4cab.png

I do not use VR I do not know anything about VR so yeah...

Best Quality
If you are running at 1080P 60Hz I recommend locking the frames at 60 using rivatuner (included in msi afterburner) or with the in game settings (most new games include this)
Side note on Vsync
don't use vsync only as a last resort and even then I recommend trying out this after rivatuner but before vsync on
150b8461138c48c79575a1e252a10fda.png

Back to BestQuality topic
35d2246ae8a6050493c33691988c2d97.png

e48198f9a1f9e4a097bd9d56d1072dec.png

NOTE
6454f7504df12c91c510ebd70a57b964.png

This setting renders your display at a 150% resolution, then downscales it to your native to give you higher quality.
This is the same as render scaling seen in some games, therefore if you set your in game renderscaling to 150% chances are you will end up rendering at 200% dramatically decreasing frame rate.

Individual Program Settings
I still recommend fumbling around with games on a per game basis which is why left most things as application controlled.

Geforce Experience provides great optimization if you do not have the app already I highly recommend it.
http://us.download.nvidia.com/GFE/GFEClient/3.4.0.70/GeForce_Experience_v3.4.0.70.exe

Although, usually the settings from the Geforce Experience app can be raised within the game still giving you great frames. (This depends on wether or not you have a third party overclocked GTX 1070 or a self overclocked 1070)
Also, GFEx likes to turn off MFAA (multi frame sample... w/e) the 1070 can handle it, tell NVidia to shove it where the sun don't shine and turn it back on ;)

note my 1070 is running at a boost clock of 2088Mhz
and a base clock of 1657 MHz

If you want to make use of Vulkan Technology

Please try to run a vulkan tool like this chopper rendering BS https://nvidia.app.box.com/s/rj9nzxkpz21qu34h8zew301kray9urbf
or any of the ones here that don't say they are for android. https://developer.nvidia.com/vulkan-android#samples

If they fail to run

You will need to run this tool.http://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/display-driver-uninstaller-ddu-v17061-released
read the instructions run it in safemode....

Then install the latest driver from Nvidia.
Latest 1070 drivers as of March 27,2017
http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/116344

Edit for those who didn't read my previous response
Do NOT set the power management settings to "prefer maximum performance".

Max performance will make your card run at the max core clock and max voltage at ALL times leading to unnecessary heat and power consumption.

On the 1000 series cards the "optimal power" option allows the cards to down clock and down volt themselves to match the task at hand. This also allows them to have their fans idle at 0RPM.

The difference in performance at most I've seen a 1-3 frame drop when it's switching states for about 1 second or less. It's literally imperceptible.

Higher than 1080P resolutions
ignore DSR factors, also you'd likely need to use all the performance settings and possibly antialiasing set to OFF to get above 60FPS.

mr007ammudi

Prominent
Jun 9, 2017

bro i really really apreciate your answer sir you are genius..

Tony081

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015

I used your settings and would like to thank you in advance. My frames run at 340± on most games whilst I can set the graphics to ultra/max. Thank you so much.

Mar 5, 2018

Mar 20, 2018

Hey man, I'm having the same trouble everyone else in this thread was having. I was going to take your settings and try them, but unfortunately your screen caps are no longer saved. Anyway you could hit me with those settings again?

Jul 31, 2018

Could you give me your settings? i can not see the screenshots that were in your post. :):)

ScreamSilence

Commendable
Feb 12, 2017
didn't realize this was so popular i'll re-upload something between sunday & tuesday (it is Saturday august 25th 2018, My time is EST 6:31 PM :p)

sorry I didn't realize sooner, streaming on twitch takes up all my time.

Jan 4, 2019

Hello, I would like those settings too, ahah

I just got my first realy powerfull graphic card and i want the best out of it :D

Feb 26, 2019
didn't realize this was so popular i'll re-upload something between sunday & tuesday (it is Saturday august 25th 2018, My time is EST 6:31 PM :p)

sorry I didn't realize sooner, streaming on twitch takes up all my time.

Hey man Hi,

I've been following this post in the hope you would upload those screenshot again.

I've got a i7-7700K and a gtx 1070 with a decent MOBO and I just don't know how to configure these settings. I get only 100 fps on games.

So I made this account just to ask please please pretty please upload these screenshots again.

Please.

Thanks in advance

TRENDING THREADS