Question GTX 1070 causing blue screen of death AFTER installing latest drivers.

May 20, 2019
I recently purchased a used Zotac GTX 1070 Mini from eBay. I have reason to suspect it had a harsh life of crypto-currency mining because it has a number of weird issues... After I install the latest Game Ready Driver from NVIDIA, the following occurs:
  1. GPU usage spikes to 100% every time I open a new window. Literally every single time. Chrome, Steam, Task Manager, doesn't matter - the memory clock jumps to 4000mhz for 5 seconds and the fans rev up to max RPM. My previous GPU (GTX 960) never did that so I know it's not normal.
  2. After about 10 minutes of use, without fail, the PC will blue screen and stay there. (gathering info before reboot stays at 0%). I'm then forced to power down the system myself and reboot. Again, my old GTX 960 never had this issue.
(I have also tried installing older NVIDIA drivers for the 1070 and that also doesn't work.)

I don't have any of these issues when I uninstall all NVIDIA drivers using DDU and let Windows run the GTX 1070 as a "Basic Display Adapter", AND when I use my GTX 960 in the SAME system instead and install the SAME driver I also experience no issues. That's how I've managed to isolate the problem. It's the GTX 1070. Is this card doomed? I'm okay with requesting a refund from the eBay seller, but I would much prefer being able to resolve it myself if possible.

My PC specs are:
Intel Core i7 7700 (stock speeds)
16GB DDR4 2400Mhz
ASUS Prime H270-Plus
Zotac GTX 1070 Mini (no overclock)
500GB SSD

Thanks for reading, any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:
May 20, 2019
What's the make and Model number of your PSU ? How many PCI-e connectors does the GTX 1070 require ? How old is the video card ?
The 1070 requires a single 8pin connector. I have CX550 PSU which is new. Everything is connected properly. The 1070 was sold to me in "working, used condition." I'm not sure how old it is unfortunately..