Question GTX 1070 causing temporary blackouts and restarts

Pwalex

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2013
Hey folks, I have what I'm pretty sure is a dead/dying GTX 1070 (Gigabyte brand) but I wanted to run the issue past here in case there's something I'm missing.

Got this card for free from a friend, and I don't really know what its history is.

I initially swapped the card (replacing my old 770) and things seemed fine. I did have to upgrade my BIOS for it to recognize the card, I went from F2 to F7 on my Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 motherboard. Update went well, and everything was recognized.

I ran a benchmark, where it performed well, and everything was looking good. But when I came back a day later (having left the system on overnight) I had started getting random blackouts, where my screens would just go black for anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes. Sometimes the screens would be a deep green or red, but usually just black. Sometimes these blackouts would then trigger a system restart.

As soon as I swapped my old 770 back in, things were back to normal. Zero issues at all.

This morning I did a thorough cleaning of both the card and the inside of my PC, just in case it was a bad contact or something. Things booted up fine and were stable for a short while, but when I tried to run the benchmark is started cutting out, restarting, and/or crashing the benchmark app.

This clearly feels like a hardware issue to me, so I imagine the card is just dead/failing, right? Just wondering if there are any other steps I can try to get it working, or if it's just a physical failure. The one thought I had to still try was to test it with screens plugged into HDMI (currently I only have DVI), but I'm already assuming this is a dead end and not sure it's worth hauling my TV in here to test that.

Drivers and everything are all up to date.
I was also monitoring temperatures, but it never climbed past 50 degrees C.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do here!

Thank you :)

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Def the card dying. If you used ddu to uninstall/reinstall drivers in between cards swaps, it's only the card dying. The tdp of the two card are pretty much identical, so i would exclude the psu not being able to handle the 1070.

Pwalex

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2013
Thanks to both of you for replying!

Def the card dying. If you used ddu to uninstall/reinstall drivers in between cards swaps, it's only the card dying. The tdp of the two card are pretty much identical, so i would exclude the psu not being able to handle the 1070.

Oh you know what, I didn't use DDU, so maybe I'll give that a try before throwing in the towel. As far as I could tell, GeForce Experience was installing the same drivers for both cards though.

What is the exact make and model of your PSU? It does sound like a GPU dying but I can't really cross out power issues till I see what you are using.

My PSU details: "XFX 1000W PRO1000W Ltd Black Edition Single Rail 12V 83A 24PIN ATX Full Modular 80PLUS Platinum PSU"

Pwalex

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2013
Just to close the thread out, I can say that I tried fresh drivers after running DDU and the issues still cropped up, so at least I know it's the card now.

Thanks again to those who replied.