GTX 1070 Did I win the Silicon Lottery or what?

SpencerGoshorn

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015
My Gtx 1070 is overclocked too 2100 core clock mhz and 4200 memory mhz and my gpu runs scary cold like it makes no sense peoples graphics card that aren't even overclocked runs hotter than mine mine stays at 25c at idle and never goes above 50c when playing any game and I can't even hear my fans its not even water cooled peoples water cooling gpu runs actually 5 degrees hotter at the same clock speed its freaking insane can someone explain my ambient temperature in my room is usually 75 degrees soooo yeah some explain why this is happening

SpencerGoshorn

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015

Zotac GTX 1070 not the amp edition this one uses the older cooling system thus they were able to sell it cheaper i bought it for $350 dollars its a really long card it has no backplate

Not enough info to tell as what games you are playing may not be what everyone else is playing. What you are using for monitoring could matter, your system will matter, your case flow will matter. But no test has shown a GPU under full 100% load at 50C ... To provide means of comparison, you can run Furmark which will bring your GPU to 100 load and keep it there... I have twin water cooled 780s and they level out at 39C after about 20 minutes of Furmark with rad fans at full tilt, 44C at an RPM which they can't be heard.

Most air cooled 1070 cards come in at about 70-75C under Furmark, as long as you are < 82C you won't see any increase in performance unless of course the VRM / memory is the limiting factor.

SpencerGoshorn

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015

Highest they reached was 58c at 56% fan just ran furmark for i dunno how long 15 mins or something i did the 1080p test it seemed to last only 3 minutes or something it only went up to 51c

I personally prefer MSI Afterburner. Having an OC program like one of these is useful for monitoring even if you're not doing any real overclocking.

SpencerGoshorn

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015

Thats what im using for my overclock is msi afterburner 2100 core mhz and 4100 memory max temperature I've ever seen my gpu at is 58 on that furmark program I actually got an add on question on my overclock I have my voltage limit maxed out it bounces up and down from 1 to 0 is this bad will it harm gpu?

Voltage limit is not the limit of the hardware. The voltage limit makes sure that the core never receives more than 90% of what the power delivery systems can feed it. This is to prevent power delivery systems from becoming overloaded and either overheating or delivering unstable power. Hitting the voltage limit will not harm anything on your graphics card. However, if you have a lower model power supply, hitting the voltage limit may give it a run for its money.

Is GPU usage at 100% while running FurMark?

SpencerGoshorn

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015

Don't remember I assume my PSU is good enough I have a corsair 600 wat temperature is never a problem I guess runs stable just wanted to know could it cause damage or make my games run worse possibly

SpencerGoshorn

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015

Don't remember I assume my PSU is good enough I have a corsair 600 wat temperature is never a problem I guess runs stable just wanted to know could it cause damage or make my games run worse possibly

Corsair 600W is not enough information. What is the model? (RM850x and AX850i are examples of models)

Meh. It'll run a single GPU but I don't recommend it. Unlike the VS series, your current PSU is safer to use than an actual potato. However, note that these units can become hazardous. I've seen them flame up when they fail. I recommend replacing it with a higher quality unit. If it misbehaves before you get around to replacing it, unplug it immediately and consider it a potential fire hazard.

Many have taken to the new CXM lineup as a replacement for the old CX lineup, but I don't personally believe that the old CX design was improved enough for the new ones to be recommended.

Seasonic M12ii 520W Bronze EVO Edtion should serve you well into the future. It's a slightly older design and features 80+ Bronze efficiency, but it's a very high quality unit for the time and still competes with modern somewhat premium solutions. It can also be had for less than $50.

SpencerGoshorn

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015

A problem just occured to me my cpu usage is at 100% on all the cores no matter what game I play don't understand this ............ Counter Strike Global Offensive cpu usage bumps it to 100% i5 4690k overclocked 4.3 ghz

Sagittariusss

Reputable
Feb 7, 2017
You'll have to install firestorm to control the specta lightining and the geforce experience to manage the power limit, i guess the gpu inst unclocking because you haven't installed any software yet.

This whole post just made sense to me. Your GPU isn't heating up because the CPU is not giving it work to do because the CPU is already maxed out just doing its own work.

There are three possibilities that occur to me:
1) Your CPU is overheating and unable to maintain your OC settings.
2) You have too many programs running in the background that are using the CPU and not allowing it to focus its full power on the games.
3) Your OC programs did not install correctly and are telling you that your CPU is running at OC speeds even though it isn't. If you did the CPU OC through BIOS, this option does not apply to you.

SpencerGoshorn

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015

Overclocked through BIOS and temperatures under load usually 70c right now task manager says im using 3% cpu usage
my gpu also when playing games hits 100% usage perfectly fine wondering why CSgo literally easiest game in the world utitlizes all my cores of my cpu and bounces up and down to 100%

Strange.

Windows 10?

SpencerGoshorn

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015

No windows 7 was thinking about upgrading to windows 10 but I dunno i just want forza horizon

Here are my recommendations for you at this time:
1) Uninstall all programs you no longer use.
2) Make sure that no pesky programs are running in the background when you launch your games. Task Manager can help with killing processes.
3) Press Windows+R. Run opens. Type in msconfig and press Enter. System Configuration Opens. Navigate to the Startup tab and disable everything except for Nvidia software and other drivers. Restart before expecting system behavior to improve.

SpencerGoshorn

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015

It only does it on CSGO Gta V I expect bottleneck I watch videos and yeah gta v hits 100 cpu usage not all the time but it'll jump up and down depending what Im doing I idle at 1% usage I just wonder why csgo wants to demand so much of my cpu

Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling CS:GO?

ah

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014