Question Gtx 1070 driver update black screen

matthews39

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013
Gtx 1070 - updated to latest drivers and was running fine then tried booting fortnite through game experience and the screen went black. I had to reboot in safe mode to roll back the driver and then everything was fine. Tried the driver update and then the screen went black again. I even tried a 3rd time but with using ddudriver to delete everything even registers but still no luck. Any ideas guys??. Also I tried a slightly older driver and it did the same

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
Gtx 1070 - updated to latest drivers and was running fine then tried booting fortnite through game experience and the screen went black. I had to reboot in safe mode to roll back the driver and then everything was fine. Tried the driver update and then the screen went black again. I even tried a 3rd time but with using ddudriver to delete everything even registers but still no luck. Any ideas guys??. Also I tried a slightly older driver and it did the same
Keep the rolled back driver, are you using win 11

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
Windows 10 but the screen resolution isn't correct can't get it to fit the screen
weird , I had a gtx1060 and win 10. With no problems, maybe check the monitor setup, you might be mirroring 2 monitors or something. However you might have the same problem I had. My 1060 was going black and I thought it was the computers booting slow. Then it went black forever. I thought the 1060 went dead and got an new card. Then the computer stopped booting a few months later and I thought the mother board went bad. Nope, after replacing the motherboard it still had the same problem. I pulled the memory chips and scrubbed the contacts clean with a hand held pencil eraser. Then they looked shiny again. Guess what, it fixed it. Last night I cleaned the 1060 and the contacts brightened up. I didn't try it yet but I bet it fixed it. You might have the same problem. Lay the 1070 on a piece of cardboard on a flat table. Cardboard is generally anti static. Don't rub the contact too hard or you can break it. Gently go back and forth about 30 times and you should see the contacts getting shiny. Then clean the debris off with a clean piece of paper soaked in rubbing alcohol. I blew mine of with compressed air but have an air compressor. I you have an anti static brush that should work but don't blow on it and don't touch the contacts. Do both sides of the edge card connector and let it dry before trying again. Some say 91 percent alcohol, Some say contact cleaner. some say no contact cleaner. Whatever, just get it cleaned of rubber eraser and don't buildup static. Good rule of thumb is to keep the computer metal touching the cardboard and always wear an anti static wrist band or lean an elbow or something on the computer ground. Pull the power cord before doing anything. Some say hold the power button a bit to fully discharge the board before removing the video card too. But yeah, mine was going black too and it wasn't the driver because I never tried a new driver. Drivers communicate with the video card and who knows how but all it takes is one bad connection.

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
Let me know if cleaning the card contacts works. I'm not going to try mine until I get a new bios battery and have to pull the existing rtx3070. Then I'll see if cleaning fixed it like it did the contacts on the ram. Oxidation is our worst nightmare sometimes.