Question GTX 1070 Dying?

JohnKimble

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2015
As of a couple weeks ago my GTX 1070 started to have a freezing issue after 2 years of going problem free. After various observation it seems like there's a chance, maybe 10% anytime i go through a loading screen in a game that the computer freezes. For instance in fallout 4 it's frozen when loading another area, or even right after starting the game before reaching the main menu. In battlefield 5 i froze once transitioning from one map to another, and once in the main menu. It doesn't seem, or at least hasn't frozen yet when playing the game or when there aren't any games running.

I've run various tests such as Furmark/Prime95/Memtest and none have shown any errors yet. Crystalmark suggests both hard drives are in good health, and i've had freezing on titles that are installed on both drives.

I tried underclocking the gpu core/memory as well as reducing the power limit but nothing seems to fully resolve the issue.

JohnKimble

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2015
I forgot to mention the first freeze was accompanied by a full screen static-like green/pink checkerboard pattern, and the recent nvidia driver install i thought would fix it had turned the screen a tint of green before it black screened until i restarted the PC.

CPU: 6600k
Motherboard: MSI Z170I Pro AC
RAM: 16GB ADATA 2133mhz
GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 Black Edition
HDD: Intel 540 SSD
PSU: FSP 500w MITX 80+ Gold

I suspected the PSU at first and was told to run furmark+prime95 simultaneously for about 15-20 to test, and give a hwinfo log. I was told that it seemed unlikely it was a PSU issue. As far as loose GPU cables, the GPU is connected via extension cable. It doesn't seem to be loose last time i checked but worth a shot.

TRENDING THREADS