GTX 1070, EVGA or ASUS?

cadu1990

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
I'm having a hard time trying to figure out which GTX 1070 to buy.

Those are the models I'm in doubt:

-Asus DUAL-GTX1070-08G (OC Version)
-Asus EX-GTX1070-08G
-Asus ROG STRIX-GTX1070-08G
-EVGA GTX 1070 8GB Gaming
-EVGA GTX 1070 8GB Gaming SC
-EVGA GTX 1070 8GB Gaming FTW DT
-EVGA GTX 1070 8GB Gaming FTW

I will not use SLI. I'm not a fan of custom overclock (even the preset overclock options are frowned upon!)

PC use mostly for gaming.

So, any help? I'm a bit concerned about some articles about EVGA 1070s catching fire

I have always liked EVGA as a brand for their good usa based support and transferrable warranty.
Of the units you listed, I would pick the SC. It has a modest factory overclock.

I would not be worried about the fire thing; that has been fixed long time ago.
Another you could consider might be the founder's edition.
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6170-KR
Not so much for performance, but for the blower cooler that gets heat directly out the back of your case.

I would get the Asus Strix as it's a bit quieter. I'm pleased with my EVGA card (GTX1080 FTW) but I do know that it's not as quiet under load as the Asus Strix and there's no disadvantage (aside from size) that the Strix has.

FIRE?
I have one of the cards in question and newer cards no longer have this issue. It was a part that got too hot and even then failing was very rare and probably only a case with insufficient air flow in a hot area. EVGA fixed this by offering thermal pad kits (or letting you replace the card with one that has this fixed). EVGA also had a fan profile "fix" that helped avoid the fail but that ran the card noisier.

*My EVGA card also had a SCRAPING NOISE every time the fans came out of idle. It F'ING annoyed the FK out of me. Not super loud, but still annoying.

I "fixed" the noise by having the fan always spin instead of turn off. I can't hear the fan in it's low-RPM state so that's fine. I didn't RMA the card because it felt like it may be a common issue with the fans used. I've still got a warranty so can still replace if I want later.