Question GTX 1070 fan suddenly at max and very loud

Jiehfeng

Reputable
Aug 23, 2016
There was an issue where my PC was not turning on, I somehow fixed it by removing everything and cleaning the motherboard a bit and then it started just fine.

Now though, my GPU fan is suuper loud when it boots to Windows 10 (only after the BIOS Splashscreen) out of nowhere, and it stays at I think the max fan speed and is extremely loud, louder than what I've heard before.

I've used this GPU for quite some time now, since the initial release, it's a Founder's Edition card, could something in it be broken right now to cause this?

What's weirder is that MSI Afterburner shows the fan speed at like 40% and it goes up and down a little. What could be the issue?

Jiehfeng

Reputable
Aug 23, 2016
What are temps saying?

Maybe try to use Evga precision X and fully uninstall after burner.

Try the gpu in another pc perhaps

Sounds like fan controller on the GPU

I got it working and the fans were at normal speed, but it came back to the max speed after trying the GPU again many days later. Does that sound like a malfunctioning fan controller? (sounds like it to me at least)

What's weird is that when the GPU fans fixed themselves, I ran benchmarks and the TDP % was hovering under 30% and the fps was really low. After some time though, the TDP fixed itself and the fps became normal again. This happened time and time again, it seemed that sometimes it fixed itself when alt tabbing, but I can't confirm it.

What's even weirder is a friend tried my GPU a few days later and he couldn't get a video signal, on two separate systems as well! When I got my GPU back the display didn't turn on for me either, but when I reseated it and waited a while I got signal, but the fans are at max speed again when coming to Windows!

Does this seem like a dying GPU? I've had it for about 3-4 years. I doubt it's a software issue as the card didn't give a signal for two separate systems my friend tested with.

The temps are fine btw, 40 or so idle.

TRENDING THREADS