[SOLVED] GTX 1070 for 49" monitor without gaming on max res?

Sep 16, 2019
Hello! I've been considering buying one of the 49" monitors at 5120x1440, the main reason being for improved workflow as I frequently have alot of things taking up space on both my two monitors right now, I already know that the 1070 wouldn't be enough to game at 5120x1440 but I'm not really feeling like it's a must to game at that resolution, so my question is if the gtx 1070 would be able to handle running a 5120x1440 just fine outside of gaming and if gaming, can it handle running lower resolutions and still be fine?
If not, would the 3840x1080 49" monitor from samsung be more realistic?

Eventually I will be upgrading the GPU aswell, but if possible I'd like to purchase the monitor first. (currently using the S24D390 monitor so it would definitely be an upgrade even if I can't use it to it's full potential right now.)

Sep 16, 2019
Should be, depending on the game you night have a fair crack at running that res. Do you already have the 1070 though?
Yeah, I bought it awhile back, was wondering if I would have to buy either a new GPU with the monitor or a duplicate of my current card to run with SLI. But if the 1070 that I have should be enough then that saves me a lot of trouble as it would be difficult to afford both at once.

Yeah, I bought it awhile back, was wondering if I would have to buy either a new GPU with the monitor or a duplicate of my current card to run with SLI. But if the 1070 that I have should be enough then that saves me a lot of trouble as it would be difficult to afford both at once.
Just running a desktop isn’t that hard, look at all the laptops with no GPU and a 4K display.
SLI is a horrible idea.

Just running a desktop isn’t that hard, look at all the laptops with no GPU and a 4K display.
SLI is a horrible idea.
PC/Laptop without any GPU is not useable!
What you saw are laptops with GPU included in the processor package. Such GPU is called iGPU. Processors like (CPU and GPU in one package) this are also known as APU.

Now, back to the question:
If you game with lowered resolution e.g. 1080p or not gaming at all, you can use GTX1070 for that 5k or 4k monitor.
SLi is not a good idea.

Sep 16, 2019
What you saw are laptops with GPU included in the processor package. Such GPU is called iGPU. Processors like (CPU and GPU in one package) this are also known as APU.

If you game with lowered resolution e.g. 1080p or not gaming at all, you can use GTX1070 for that 5k or 4k monitor.
SLi is not a good idea.
Yeah that's what I was wondering mainly, thank you both!

SLi is not a good idea.
Yeah I know I’m not stupid but it’s fairly obvious when someone says a laptop has no GPU they mean dedicated graphics. And if we’re being pedantic a laptop using an APU neither has a CPU or GPU it has an Accelerated Processing Unit which includes both a CPU and GPU on one package.

Well you could do 3840x1440p/2560x1080p dependant on the game and deal with the black bars?

Sep 16, 2019
Yeah I know I’m not stupid but it’s fairly obvious when someone says a laptop has no GPU they mean dedicated graphics.
Well you could do 3840x1440p/2560x1080p dependant on the game and deal with the black bars?
yeah thats what I was thinking too, since I don't really mind the black bars along the sides.

Sep 16, 2019
Fairs I’d wanna have a go with racing games or something like Civ in that crazy 5120 wide res though lol
Yeah of course haha, it's more so about the priority of buying the monitor first or a better GPU first, and as I said I'd rather get the monitor then and keep gaming on lower resolutions but have greater pixel density, and a much better workflow then to get a superb GPU while my monitors are already very low end.

Yeah of course haha, it's more so about the priority of buying the monitor first or a better GPU first, and as I said I'd rather get the monitor then and keep gaming on lower resolutions but have greater pixel density, and a much better workflow then to get a superb GPU while my monitors are already very low end.
I’d say work should probably come first plus GPU prices only go down over time, unless there’s a mining craze.

alex-dk

Honorable
May 25, 2015
Forgive me if you think the topic should just stay closed but I have the Samsung CRG90 and use it for gaming so I think I can give you a few tidbits of information that should be helpful.

Trying to game on it with full 5120x1440p is very GPU heavy as you already know. Some games will be much more GPU intensive than others of course. I can reliably run Rainbow Six Siege on 100+ fps, while PUBG is maybe 70. I tried running PUBG on a 1080 resolution and it looked garbage in comparison. If you find problems with the games it can be helped by decreasing the screen size.

What you should remember is, that you can split the signal. When I play PUBG my monitor is split into a 21:9 aspect ratio area of the screen for the game (above that it is just stretched so I just keep the pixel count down) and a 11:9 section for desktop/browser/discord etc. This splitting is called Picture by Picture for Samsung products and requires 2 input connections. You can split it to be your laptop or whatever, or you can do as I do and just connect the second cable to some other port on the graphics card. For PUBG this increased my fps by around 15 from 70 to 85.

You say that you intent to buy a new GPU later on. I say that means go ahead and buy this monitor if you can afford it. To me it is a much more pleasing experience when I need to do normal work or just browse. Typically I run run it as 2 monitors side by side, and the lack of separation is just fantastic. I haven't tried a whole lot of different setups, but I like this monitor. The only problem is the flimsy controls, and switching between PBP and Full 32:9, or changing PBP settings is something you have to do physically on the little nub (around 6 clicks) instead of something you can change via software.

Sep 16, 2019
Forgive me if you think the topic should just stay closed but I have the Samsung CRG90 and use it for gaming so I think I can give you a few tidbits of information that should be helpful.

Trying to game on it with full 5120x1440p is very GPU heavy as you already know. Some games will be much more GPU intensive than others of course. I can reliably run Rainbow Six Siege on 100+ fps, while PUBG is maybe 70. I tried running PUBG on a 1080 resolution and it looked garbage in comparison. If you find problems with the games it can be helped by decreasing the screen size.

What you should remember is, that you can split the signal. When I play PUBG my monitor is split into a 21:9 aspect ratio area of the screen for the game (above that it is just stretched so I just keep the pixel count down) and a 11:9 section for desktop/browser/discord etc. This splitting is called Picture by Picture for Samsung products and requires 2 input connections. You can split it to be your laptop or whatever, or you can do as I do and just connect the second cable to some other port on the graphics card. For PUBG this increased my fps by around 15 from 70 to 85.

You say that you intent to buy a new GPU later on. I say that means go ahead and buy this monitor if you can afford it. To me it is a much more pleasing experience when I need to do normal work or just browse. Typically I run run it as 2 monitors side by side, and the lack of separation is just fantastic. I haven't tried a whole lot of different setups, but I like this monitor. The only problem is the flimsy controls, and switching between PBP and Full 32:9, or changing PBP settings is something you have to do physically on the little nub (around 6 clicks) instead of something you can change via software.
No worries I don't mind as it's great having some feedback from someone who actually has the monitor aswell, thanks for the reply, I'm fairly certain I will be investing into one mainly for work and browsing, like you mentioned, I hope it will work better when I need to keep half a million tabs open haha.