Question GTX 1070 G1 Gaming - I7 6700(non K) Need help

justin_72

Reputable
May 8, 2016
Hi all . I need some help please for I am struggling with my pc now . I used to have an I5 7500 but went from that to an i7 6700 (Because of the extra cores) .

With the OLD CPU my CPU was an huge bottleneck to my games . But now with the new CPU i cant even get the same frames I used to get with the I5 for some reason . My games used to use 100% of my old CPU but now . My CPU nor my GPU use more then 50% and i am sitting with bad fps .

Temps are fine as well . My CPU running at 40C - 50C at gaming or full load . GPU runs between 60C - 64C when gaming.

Games I play now is Rust , GTA V , Overwatch , For Honor . V SYNC is not enabled as well. its off. I am running windows 10 and tried old drivers and latest drivers .

RIG:
I7 6700
GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
8GB of RAM
530W PSU
B250 Mobo

Open up your BIOS to make sure that the the options are set correctly. For example, is turbo enabled? How about hyperthreading - the i7 doesn't have more cores, it has more threads.
If it all looks good, what speed is your RAM? The i7 only supports up to 2133 MHz. Although I wouldn't think this would make much of a difference, if the RAM is faster than that, you could try overclocking it back to original speeds.
Lastly, if those don't work, unplug the PSU, take the CMOS battery out of the MoBo, put it back in, plug the pc in and see if it any better.

Last edited:

justin_72

Reputable
May 8, 2016
Open up your BIOS to make sure that the the options are set correctly. For example, is turbo enabled? How about hyperthreading - the i7 doesn't have more cores, it has more threads.
If it all looks good, what speed is your RAM? The i7 only supports up to 2133 MHz. Although I wouldn't think this would make much of a difference, if the RAM is faster than that, you could try overclocking it back to original speeds.
Lastly, if those don't work, unplug the PSU, take the CMOS battery out of the MoBo, put it back in, plug the pc I'm and see if it any better.
And my RAM speed is 2400Mhz but it down clocks itself to 2133Mhz and I cant enable XMP profile . Check my mobo I added an link above .

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
That's not a good quality PSU and some of their models are actually considered among the worst.

On that site you linked there's no complete information about specs and not a picture with the sticker/label on the unit.

I found on Newegg here if this is in fact the same unit RX-530SS it has 20 amps on either of the two 12V rails. That's a total of 240W for each. Some PSUs with two 12V rails can't really deliver proper combined 12V to the two rails.

https://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/ProductImageCompressAll1280/17-152-028-39.jpg

I wouldn't run any system with that PSU, let alone an i7 and a 1070.

Not saying you're issue is definitely caused by lack of sufficient power but keep in mind that your system and components as at a higher risk of failing because of that PSU.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I have been running this PSU with my old i5 and the 1070 for 2 years now and nothing bad has happened. But if you think I should get another will it be worth it ?

As I said before I'm not saying the definite cause of the problem is lack of proper power to the graphics card. It might very well have a different cause.

If you can replace it with a good quality ASAP I think you should do that. Performance and longevity of all components especially motherboard, GPU and storage depend on the PSU.

Bad unit might fails sooner than expected, with no warning signs and symptoms and take other components with it. Bad PSUs are fire hazards too. I've actually seen cases of fires caused by bad PSUs.

Wait for others to weigh in on the CPU/GPU performance issue and meanwhile I think it's better to replace the PSU as soon as you can.

justin_72

Reputable
May 8, 2016
As I said before I'm not saying the definite cause of the problem is lack of proper power to the graphics card. It might very well have a different cause.

If you can replace it with a good quality ASAP I think you should do that. Performance and longevity of all components especially motherboard, GPU and storage depend on the PSU.

Bad unit might fails sooner than expected, with no warning signs and symptoms and take other components with it. Bad PSUs are fire hazards too. I've actually seen cases of fires caused by bad PSUs.

Wait for others to weigh in on the CPU/GPU performance issue and meanwhile I think it's better to replace the PSU as soon as you can.
Yeah I unfortunate I cannot do it now for i am a bit in dept of the I7