GTX 1070 High Temperatures

Mar 6, 2018
So here's the thing,I'v got a gtx 1070 for around 1 year and i wanted to see my gpu temps . I don't know that much about blower style gpus because this is my first one of this type.I downloaded furmark and with the default settings of ASUS GPU TWEAK 2 i saw that i have an average of 79-82 *C and i don't know if this is allright or not.I don't want to break the fans neither so i never tried to make a deafult fan profile.
My gpu : https://www.amazon.de/GeForce-GTX1070-8G-Grafikkarte-Speicher-DisplayPort/dp/B01IF66QAI
Ohh yeah and my idle temps are 59-62 *C :(

Solution
One thing that is common about blower style heatsink fan combos is that the first edge the air comes into contact with is usually small. I had a ATI HD2900XT and I noticed that my temps had slowly gone up over time even though I diligently cleaned it, or so I thought. I was blowing canned air in through the rear vent and around the fan blades. Unfortunately this didn't dislodge what turned out to be a large "pad" of dust and lint that built up on the leading edge of the heatsink and it was restricting the air from moving over the fins. It wasn't easily visible with the shroud on. Once I got a little more vigorous with my cleaning, I finally dislodged this nice rectangular pad of lint from the heatsink, Only after I got it loose...
Blower style fans are typically not as good as aftermarket / custom heatsink fan combos. The upside to blower HSFs is they exhaust their hot air outside the case.

A word of caution about FurMark, the temps you'll get from this and Kombuster are actually beyond worse case scenarios. If you are really interested in temps, I would monitor them with an OSD in game. Play a good range of games, newer FPS games are likely to push the highest temps. These are realworld temps.

Mar 6, 2018

I understand,I've played Ac origins,WoW,gta v,witcher but the temps are most likely the same but a little bit lower.
I get around 75-79 *C and the fan speed is at 60-70%...

One thing that is common about blower style heatsink fan combos is that the first edge the air comes into contact with is usually small. I had a ATI HD2900XT and I noticed that my temps had slowly gone up over time even though I diligently cleaned it, or so I thought. I was blowing canned air in through the rear vent and around the fan blades. Unfortunately this didn't dislodge what turned out to be a large "pad" of dust and lint that built up on the leading edge of the heatsink and it was restricting the air from moving over the fins. It wasn't easily visible with the shroud on. Once I got a little more vigorous with my cleaning, I finally dislodged this nice rectangular pad of lint from the heatsink, Only after I got it loose did I know it was even there. Afterwards I seen a very noticeable drop in both my loaded and idle temps.

If you can figure out how to remove the shroud, I would and thoroughly clean the heatsink.

See a picture below the visualize what I'm talking about.

51eJpNiyAFL.jpg

Solution
Mar 6, 2018

Thanks, i will try to clean it up better . I thought that may be somewhere there,hidden, where i can't reach but i didn't want to remove the warranity sticker.
Thanks a lot ! Cheers!

Mar 6, 2018

OHH yea and can u please show me where is the " leading edge of the heatsink " :)
U mean here? :https://imgur.com/a/MIi8u
And should i remove then put again some thermal paste ? Again i removed the thermal paste 3-4 times but not on expensive gpus/cpus! :) and I'm a little bit "scared" !

The leading edge is essentially where the person has their thumb. It's essentially the surface that the air contacts first.

As for doing this, you may not have to remove the entire heatsink. You might just be able to remove the plastic shroud around the heatsink. In my picture its the clear red plastic the sits over top of the fan and heatsink.

The only real difference between removing a heatsink for a CPU versus a GPU is that GPUs don't normally have a heatspreader covering the die. So you have to be a little more cautious when handling it.