GTX 1070 + i7 7700k "crashing" while rendering

lkmellone

Honorable
Dec 26, 2014
Hello!
I'm facing a problem while rendering with SketchUp + VRay 3.4.
Everytime I click render, the render pre-passes nicely, but when it gets to actually render the image, my video card crashes, the monitor goes blank and when it lights up again, it returns to the desktop with Sketchup and V-ray crashed. When this happens, audio glitches can also come up, like the front audio jack stop working with the video, and when it returns to the desktop, the audio returns as well..

My drivers are updated and the temps are pretty normal. The processor is with 30°C to 35°C at idle and 70 to 80°C at rendering. GPU is getting normal temps too, but for now I don't remember the temps it was getting.

Any light?

My PC config is:
i7 7700k
H80i v2 watercooler
Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2400Mhz 16GB (2x8)
Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Rock
Asus prime z270-K 1151 socket

Thanks!

lkmellone

Honorable
Dec 26, 2014

My power supply is a Corsair TX650V2, with 650W. I don't think it's the power supply, since my windows doesn't crash, the only thing it happens is that my monitor goes blank for a while and V-ray crashes.
Yeah, it once worked, but I couldn't format windows because I have lots of stuff in it and not enough time to reinstall everything. Also, games run well, real time stuff too, but progressive render are killing it somehow.

lkmellone

Honorable
Dec 26, 2014

Can I do that after the crash?

@karadjgne
just the nvidia drivers, should I have more than one?
and I'm not running any OCs

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You are missing the motherboard chipset drivers. Win10CE created havoc with many legacy drivers, especially the audio/Lan drivers that are 32bit (x86) as they are closed end drivers. Basically meaning the drivers are looking for the same version stuff. Win10CE has generic drivers that are newer version, so tries to implement them, but the main chipset driver is stuck looking for its own stuff, and you get conflicts that loop until something gives and you crash. This also did affect pcie, Sata, USB family and respective controllers. The last update a week or so ago just added to that, as did the prior update months ago. You mobo vendor will have released patches to those drivers, allowing for the usage of 64bit (x64) versions in addition to the x86 drivers, bypassing the loops. You'll find the latest version of the chipset drivers at your motherboard vendors support site, as they are not included in Windows, so don't update with Windows.

After fixing the chipset drivers, you'll probably need to then fix the nvidia drivers as new usb/pcie/audio versions will need to be recognised, most ppl get a 'vga failed to load:error 43' notice, just reinstall using custom, clean install.

lkmellone

Honorable
Dec 26, 2014

Hey man, thanks for the reply.
Maybe I'm missing chipset drivers indeed. What should I do? Uninstall nvidia drivers and then reinstall all the drivers or just the chipset?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Open up C and make a new folder. Goto website. Download all the latest driver packages to the new folder. I find it easier to just look inside the files and hit the setup.exe instead of trying to update through the device manager.

Count on rebooting a few times, if unsure, reboot after every installed driver.

When all that's done, if you have no vga errors you'll be ok with nvidia, if (like me) you get the error 43, just wait on that until all the chipset drivers are loaded, then goto nvidia find the latest driver set for the gpu, and during install, choose custom, not express, and you'll get the option to run a clean install. Take it. Express checks version numbers, if you have it, it does not overwrite, just bypasses. Clean install removes everything and installs everything fresh, so there's no conflicts.

lkmellone

Honorable
Dec 26, 2014

Hey man, sorry for the late reply.. this week has been crazy!

I'm installing everything now, gonna post the results in a while.
By the way, I have installed the AI Suite 3 from asus and it has fan controlling stuff. I'm wondering if it can cause any conflicts with my Corsair Link app (?)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Dunno. I've always liked the Asus fanXpert, I use it on my wife's pc, far easier to customize than SpeedFan. But I don't use Corsair Link, never have, old versions were not that good and had more issues than credits. If just used for info, there shouldn't be an issue, but if trying to control fans by both, that might setup issues. You can use the rest of Asus suite, fanXpert is a separate module, so doesn't need to be active. Or just use the fanXpert to run things, and have CL as a verification that all good. Up to you, I'm not sure if or what any conflicts might or might not be.

lkmellone

Honorable
Dec 26, 2014

Hello,
sorry for taking too long to answer.
I couldn't do many tests since then, but as far as I know, rendering is back to normal.
One thing that bothers me now is that, since I've installed all the drivers, including the Lan driver, it seems it has blocked some of my ports and I lost connections to specific services, like downloads and games. I'm not a network guy and I don't understand a thing about that... I don't know if it is a firewall permitions problem or a router port forwarding thing.
Now I'm having to fix that..

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'm not a network guru either, all my stuff got plugged in and running on auto.

Best bet is to make another post, quick explanation that you've updated the chipset drivers, everything is now good, except for a few services that are bunk. It might just be that those games/apps need a reinstall if they are looking for specifics in install logs, like version numbers etc, and those numbers are now different.

Good luck.

lkmellone

Honorable
Dec 26, 2014
Hi, I don't even know If i'm allowed to revive this post, but I'm having the same problems again.
After "fixing" it, it worked for a month or so, but everytime I hit progressive render on V-ray, it happens the same thing: It prepasses nicely, but crashes when it hits 80% rendered. Any light? I have some work to finish and can't dig what's going on.

Thanks in advance!