Question GTX 1070 Idles high, but doesnt boost when gaming.

konkiii

Prominent
Jul 26, 2018
Hello all. I have a GTX 1070 FE that I've had for about 4 months now, and all the way up until last night it was working perfect. But last night I had gotten home from a day away and my performance in games had lost about 25% I would say.
I open afterburner after closing every video program to find that its running at 1290mhz core and believe it or not, full 4455mhz memory under 0% load on my desktop, and it had never boosted up when I started a game. (Metro Exodus, 1440p Ultra preset. This had ran fine before.) Gpu load hovers around 20-30%, and cpu was 20% the entire time except for one spike up to 50% for about 20 seconds according to afterburner, after which had gone back down to 20%. Ive tried restarting, shutting off + PSU off switch. Nothing in my bios seems to correlate. Ive made sure nvidia control panel is set to Maximum Performance under power management. Ive made sure that my 1070 IS being used by all games. Ive also reinstalled Nvidias newest drivers. Not sure what to do here, any, help is appreciate, and all questions will answered asap. Thank you

Amanullah7172

Prominent
Jul 29, 2019
Hello all. I have a GTX 1070 FE that I've had for about 4 months now, and all the way up until last night it was working perfect. But last night I had gotten home from a day away and my performance in games had lost about 25% I would say.
I open afterburner after closing every video program to find that its running at 1290mhz core and believe it or not, full 4455mhz memory under 0% load on my desktop, and it had never boosted up when I started a game. (Metro Exodus, 1440p Ultra preset. This had ran fine before.) Gpu load hovers around 20-30%, and cpu was 20% the entire time except for one spike up to 50% for about 20 seconds according to afterburner, after which had gone back down to 20%. Ive tried restarting, shutting off + PSU off switch. Nothing in my bios seems to correlate. Ive made sure nvidia control panel is set to Maximum Performance under power management. Ive made sure that my 1070 IS being used by all games. Ive also reinstalled Nvidias newest drivers. Not sure what to do here, any, help is appreciate, and all questions will answered asap. Thank you
Maybe overheating and throttling.
What about increasing power limit(well not recommended).
Try to check if the heatsink is dusty.
And I am not a graphics card expert but the most main reason is overheating!