Question GTX 1070 isn't detected, but the fan is running. Currently using my motherboard for hdmi support.

Dec 27, 2019
I recently got a Wacom Cintiq 16, and I was trying to get the display to work on it with my gaming PC (Windows 10, GeForce GTX 1070, Omen HP, and prebuilt). In my experimentation to get it to work, I for some reason tried plugging in a HDMI splitter to the GPU. This made its fan run really fast for the few seconds it was connected, and it smelt like something was burning. After that, my GPU stopped being detected and I had to resort to using my motherboard to display anything. I looked around inside my PC, and the GPU looked completely fine, with the fan running and everything, but it still just didn't work. In the device manager, it was hidden and it said that it wasn't connected. This was probably a bad idea, but I deleted all of my drivers for the GPU and reinstalled them recently. After trying to get the drivers back, it still said that the GPU couldn't be detected. I'm admittedly not great with PC's, so I would like to know if there is a solution to this problem.

Have you been able to pinpoint the source of the burning smell? Was it coming from the HDMI splitter? Was it coming from the video card? If the video card was damaged, then visible evidence of burning may be hidden under the fan shroud.

Also, what were you trying to do with the HDMI splitter?