Question GTX 1070 keeps disconnecting displays

caldeith

Distinguished
May 20, 2015
I was recently given a faulty Gigabyte Geforce GTX1070 Mini ITX that kept disconnecting the displays randomly during regular computer usage. It would just stop stop outputting any display signal at a seemingly random point (not necessarily during load or while doing anything specific) and would remain non-functional until the entire computer was restarted several times. It would then work again for a while (from several hours to a few days) and then the problem would reoccur. Otherwise, while it's functioning, it doesn't get particularly hot, benchmarks are normal and the fans seem to be working fine.
It has had the same issue on several computers and it's clearly the card itself at fault, so I'm wondering if anyone knows what specifically could be causing this issue. And/or if it's worth trying to get it repaired or sold on ebay for parts or just to bin it.

Lutfij

Titan
I don't think you'll get much in spite of selling it though you could try. Have you tried and seen if you can get it RMA'd. If the card was mined on, then there's no point even looking further. I'm suspecting that the heat on the card might be playing havoc with one or more power delivery component which might explain the issue with the signal being lost. You could have it repaired but that wont be a long term solution.

This is ofc, assuming that you've tested the card on a donor system with more than ample power to the entire system coming from a reliably built PSU and a wall outlet that does not have a grounding issue.