i7 7700k
16gb ddr4 dual channel 2400
256gb nvme M.2

So I just picked up:
ASRock Tai Chi z270
Corsair h100i RGB Platinum

I have a preexisting MSI GTX 1070 8GB

Fresh install on Windows 10

Im getting super low FPS like around 20 at medium or high settings.

BIOS and all drivers are up to date.
GeForce drivers 441.20 (latest) but I also tried older drivers too.

Checked PCIe settings in BIOS all looks good.

Any tips?

Solution
PSU is fine it was working on my other system no issues.
This does not mean that it works properly. It just means that it was working fine with those components that might require less power.
I am thinking it's the mobo.
I opened a ticket with both MSI (video card) and ASRock (mobo)
I do also lean towards motherboard but the crashing of FireStrike makes me think it's GPU. It's good that you have started RMA for both, that way you will ensure that you have no problems afterwards.

I would still use the GPU in another system with another PSU to make sure that it works properly. If it does, it's either your motherboard or your PSU. If it doesn't it's the GPU.
Nov 17, 2019
Have you fully updated chipset, BIOS, windows?
Is it possible to try the GPU in another system? Like a friend's PC.

yes I have updated everything. I know the GPU works it was working in my old i5 2600k system just fine.
I also have another 1070, and same issue.
I tried other PCIe slots as well.

BIOS is up to date and at default settings. PCI lanes set to Auto and I even tried setting them to Gen3.

I just did a reinstall of windows, all software and hardware updates before installing the GPU.

Installed GPU and updated to latest nvidia drivers again (441.20).

Still having the same issue.

Monitor is 60hz but I should still be getting more than 10 to 20 fps @ 1080p.

Indeed you should. I am suspecting motherboard or PSU failure. Try seating the GPU in another PCIe slot of the motherboard, even if it's not x16.
Actually, open GPU-z and see what does it say in the bus interface? I have attached an image to understand better.
View: https://imgur.com/JwYs3ES

You can also click on the question mark for a test to run and see if that changes.
Try Userbenchmark and post the results please.

If possible try another PSU to make sure it's not the problem.

Nov 17, 2019
Here is the hwinfo log files and screenshots.
I did a Fire Strike benchmark from 3d Mark and it crashed during the process.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Tl8Sk9MV-xZPCHt-35Wk6PZUTkn0DPJH

I tried other PCI slots and I also double-checked it is indeed running at PCIe x16 3.0.

This does not mean that it works properly. It just means that it was working fine with those components that might require less power.
I do also lean towards motherboard but the crashing of FireStrike makes me think it's GPU. It's good that you have started RMA for both, that way you will ensure that you have no problems afterwards.

I would still use the GPU in another system with another PSU to make sure that it works properly. If it does, it's either your motherboard or your PSU. If it doesn't it's the GPU.

Solution
Nov 17, 2019

Well buddy you were on to something about the PSU.

On GPU-Z it said I was at PCIe 3.0 x16 BUT running at 1.1!!

I tried my other test 1070 card and it went to 3.0 and my fps issue was nonexistent!

Although this test 1070 card only takes an 8 pin connection, my main card (MSI) has both 8pin and a 6pin. I tried 2 separate cables and the same cable and I still have the issue.

I am going to try 2 cables from opposite ends of the PSU, as well as a different power supply to see where that leads.

The issue with the GPU-z is not really an issue unless it constantly works at 1.1 . Let me explain better. All GPUs have a low power state when not their full power is needed. That downclocks the GPU and make it work in 1.1 or 2.0 bus interface.

To make sure your GPU is working at 3.0 when needed, next to the bus interface you can click the question mark and start the render test. If the 1.1 remains unchanged, then you have a problem which we will try to solve, if it does change then it works as intended.

You should try the things you said though.

Nov 17, 2019
Yes I'm aware of the false positives that GPUZ can provide. I did try render mode to see if it boosts up but it did not.

Again with the extra card I have the issue clears up the fps. I'll report back with the results of the PSU testing!

Nov 17, 2019
The issue with the GPU-z is not really an issue unless it constantly works at 1.1 . Let me explain better. All GPUs have a low power state when not their full power is needed. That downclocks the GPU and make it work in 1.1 or 2.0 bus interface.

To make sure your GPU is working at 3.0 when needed, next to the bus interface you can click the question mark and start the render test. If the 1.1 remains unchanged, then you have a problem which we will try to solve, if it does change then it works as intended.

You should try the things you said though.

Thanks again for your help! Turns out the video card is defective. Going to try to RMA it