GTX 1070 MSI Gaming X High Temps?

nightfxll

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016
I've had this problem for as long as I can remember owning this card and always assumed it was lack of airflow in my case but I got 2 intake fans to help and it maybe dropped 2 - 3c on a good day.

Its reaches around 78 - 80c and thats with max fan speed and a temp limit at 80c and it would happily go to 80 - 90 without a limit. I do oc it as not overclocking has no difference in temps for me. Its mostly on demanding games as I get around mid to low 70s on lighter games such as fortnite or overwatch. I'm wondering if I just got a bad card with poorly applied thermal paste or something. I've had it for 2 years and 3 months (Nov 2016) I really didn't mind the temps then as I only played e-sports games and hardly any demanding games and if I did I wouldn't play for long as I didn't want to ruin the card with constant high temps and max fan speeds 24/7. I recently tried reseating the card as some recommended that. I also need to clean out some dust but I cant see that makes much of a difference as its been an issue for awhile now.

I also have a custom fan curve just so it doesn't overheat but I don't like running them at max every time I'm trying to play a game like resident evil 2, Witcher 3 or any semi demanding game. If you have any ideas or if I should try emailing them as I heard its a 3 year warranty, just kinda desperate at this point. Thanks!

Note: Everything else in my computer has perfect temps while underload its just the gpu giving me issues. CPU is around the mid to low 60s when gaming and the highest its goes is 70c

Ak74Egy

Reputable
Jun 4, 2016
that definitely isn't normal, and cleaning the card will actually make a difference, the only thing I can think of, is if it's not a faulty card, then the fan airflow is directing heat inside towards the card maybe, but then again that wouldn't cause such drastic temps, it's just that the CPU is also on high temps because it shouldn't hit 70 degrees at all if you are not overclocking it.

nightfxll

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016

Sorry forgot to mention the cpu is OCed to 4.8ghz @ 1.2v I believe (8600k). I also have 2 exhaust fans. I'll try buying a can of compressed air later today and see if that helps because the temps definitely have risen maybe 3 - 4c since probably 8ish months ago, but then again I did upgraged to 1440p so it could be that as well.

Ak74Egy

Reputable
Jun 4, 2016

As long as the temps are below 80 you're fine