Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
Hi

GTX 1070 EVGA
FX 8350
GA-78LMT-USB3
16 GB Corsair Raim
SSD 500 GB

I upgraded from a GTX 970 to 1070. Ever since I've had horrible aliasing issues that I have not been able to resolve. Anti aliasing does not appear to be applied in any way outside of down sampling with DSR. All my games, be it old, new, deferred or forward rendering, look pretty bad. The shimmering and crawling is a massive eye sore and my old 970 did NOT have this problem, at all. I will try to post pictures later, but for now let's please trust my eyes that I see a very clear difference in what I used to have vs what I have now. I realize there is a limit to aliasing, but the issue is not that I am fooling myself or that I am expecting too much, it is that I blatantly see a loss of quality in the exchange of cards. One would assume then that it is the card, but let's look at the specifics below.

I've cleaned with DDU and reinstalled drivers. I've checked NCP settings. I will clarify:
I've restored them to default, I made sure everything is set to application controlled, I've enable DSR to try and counter act the issue, I've ensured everything is set to high quality, LOD Bias is clamped, FXAA is NOT enabled via NCP and I've also ensured (and tried both) using Application controlled settings and NCP settings. I've done the appropriate checks after much research for the last few days.

I've also tried 3 different monitors (the odd part about this is it worked FINE on my 55" TV?, but not my old 36" which I WAS using the 970 on prior and not on my new 144hz 27" monitor, which is currently using display port. Going to try the DVI-I cable next)

In the past, aliasing worked fine with my 970 which was VGA/DVI converted on the 36" TV. It looked BEAUTIFUL alias-wise. But when I swapped to the 1070 everything went to shit.

My girlfriend currently has the 970 with no issues.

Thus, it is not NCP related, it is not driver related, it is not monitor related, it is not cable (last test to confirm) related.

I've seen some people suggest it MAY be a PSU issue? I'm also wondering if it is the more obvious issue of compatibility between my old MOBO and the newer 1000 series architecture.

Any input would be appreciated, but please let's try to trim the fat and skip reiteration of things I've already mentioned. Thank you.

Arkahm

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
I'll try to take some later today. It is temporal aliasing specifically that seems to be the problem. I realize txaa exists to counter this problem but is rarely implemented.

Ping
Overwatch
Skyrim
Alien isolation
Conan
The forest
Rainbow six siege
Far cry primal
AION
GTA 5
Niger
Oblivion

Windows 7

I have a feeling it's part comparability or maybe even psu related. Havent been able to swap it but can't be sure.

Arkahm

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
Perfect representation of my problem across various games. Inb4 "AA will fix this". Pro tip, it won't without pushing it to 8x/8x/2x DSR. Much more than what was and or should be required.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn-DqpcMcCU

Hello and good day, my friends. I am cross posting this in order to see if anyone can come to (or close to) a conclusion on a wide-spread issue many gamers are experiencing across a variety of titles. Please read carefully; I apologize if this is amateur sounding, poorly worded or in the incorrect subreddit. Any help is appreciated but it is paramount the information within is read to avoid redundant conversation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlg4C0_3fUM

This is a small example, but it is not limited to textures like this. This problem is not limited to Skyrim but effects it in a very pronounced way. It includes all textures in the game near or far, ground, trees, weapons, mountains, grass, clouds, building textures, pixels in general. It is not a sharpness issue as it persists beneath blurring, so FXAA brute force yields no true result other than poorly masking the issue which is clearly visible, as is the case with forced techniques via inspector. The best managable results I have achieved are 4x NCP aliasing, and 4x in game aliasing at 2x DSR. I am sure people with better CPU's than me (FX 8350) could obtain 8x/8x/4x dsr and see quality but that's pushing the limit for many people who otherwise were previously fine. Many people are also likely unaware this problem exists because they were introduced to it as "normal".

Please read below before commenting that this is normal, aliasing, or about deferred rendering. We know it is not normal, we know it is aliasing, we know about deferred rendering, so please read carefully.

This is a long post but filled with vital information that may help someone narrow it down: Firstly, I do not have a fix. I am working on it. Secondly I want to make it clear to people posting who suggest this is normal; it is not. Yes, it appears to be an Aliasing or Filtering issue. I do not believe it is Z-fighting/buffering. My old GTX 970 worked beautifully. Crystal clear, 0 aliasing with 2x DSR on a low res monitor. I then swapped to a 1070 and received this issue, like most people, on ALL of their games. Most of the other games (the lists are long) are more or less solvable via DSR (which should not be required to achieve an appealing level of smoothness/lack of jaggies and shimmering). Yes, we are aware of TAA/TXAA addressing temporal aliasing, but unfortunately it does not exist in most games. Again, it isn't a matter of "the game should look like that" because there is a clear difference in what once was and what now is. This is not hundreds + people hyper focusing, we've all been triggered by the sudden change, some people without changing hardware or drivers at all. I am sure we have all cleaned our drivers with DDU and reinstalled and backrolled. I am sure we've all tested different cables and I've personally tested various monitors. Even with DSR, 8x NCP aliasing, 8x in game aliasing and Nvidia inspector, etc, the problem persists although it is nearly rectified.

The real issue here is that it did not PREVIOUSLY take THIS much effort to smooth out Skyrim and many people also do NOT have this problem to date. There are other theories, less likely, about ENB needing to be cleanly removed (some people don't use it at all, of course) and about electrical issues stemming from the home or PSU (neither of which are my problem). My old 970 is now in the hands of my girlfriend who has 0 issues. The one piece of evidence I have that confuses me is my 55" TV shows no signs of this problem where as my old 720p and my current 144hz 1080p monitors DO. The only single change for me was the GPU. We've also attempted various NCP settings and ensuring we've tried 3d app, forced settings, quality settings, etc.. I have a feeling it may yet be driver related, perhaps something back door in some update that is component related but it seems next to impossible for us to track down a relative cause between all the people having this issue... To me this says there are multiple possibilities effecting people in a variety of ways, but it burns down to the architecture and component communication between GPU, mobo and CPU.

The only people I see that have been able to fix this issue are people who have constructed entirely new rigs. This problem persists for many people even years later and we are still unable to pinpoint what the exact issue is, but it is not solely related to Skyrim as it effects a variety of games as well. It is not about deferred rendering, as in the past it worked perfectly fine for many of us. It is not a specific GPU as many people express it happens with 970's and WELL below, as well as all members of the 1k series as well as AMD products as well. I am sorry I don't have a fix, but this is all vital information in the movement to resolve this issue.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I guess it's still anisotropic filtering related somehow

Search terms: anisotropic filtering shimmering

Possible leads:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/60lkv8/what_happened_to_anisotropic_filtering/

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/42xx33/shimmering_and_flickering_on_textures_and_edges/

Try in program settings in NvCP and force anisotropic filtering 16x for any particular game and see if it changes anything.

Why it would look different on a TV? Possibly color format related (RGB vs chroma, not sure) and extra video processing done by the TV is my guess.

As said at Youtube by azerty and the quote above in your post by maplemuffinz, it's not isolated to architecture, it's happening on the GTX970 too.

There's also mention there at Youtube in the sub comments under azerty about some Skyrim mods causing a shimmering effect. Worth noting i guess.

Just a track : a lot of people saw this problem happen after modding skyrim or using some enb/reshade. Me too. This problem happened right after using an enb on skyrim for me.

Arkahm

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
Hi Boju. I am actually the person that was speaking with Azerty regarding that topic in that particular thread :). <-- Maplemuffinz. I can see we've attempted the same research. I'm intending to look into AF options when I get home though I'm fairly certain I exhausted my options and alternatives these last two days. I'm slowly coming to the conclusion it is my Older CPU and my much older/low tier mobo that are causing a conflict in the performance of the GTX 1070. You're likely right about my TV's. My 55" is newer than the old 36" I was using which may explain the discrepancy after upgrading GPU's, and with my new 144hz vg248. At any rate, I need to upgrade my CPU and Mobo anyway. If in time I do this and it corrects my problem I will come back. If it does not I'll consider that my 1070 is faulty (which I doubt). Regarding ENB, I've never used it.

Time will tell. Thank you for the help.

Arkahm

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
Just for clarity, I've included my dxdiag
https://i.imgur.com/7ylygrO.png
https://i.imgur.com/Lw16yZ1.png

I've been unable to resolve the issue with anything short of formatting windows, which I don't really want to do yet.
I have a friend coming over this weekend who has a 1060. Will swap them out and see how it responds to determine if it's simply the card being faulty, etc.

Any tools I could use to run a diagnostic or stress test/benchmark on my rig?