GTX 1070 not Decoding HEVC with DVD FAB or others?

Woxter

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
Hi guys, finaly I got a GTX 1070 G1 Gaming card to upgrade my nearly 2 year old GTX 970 G1. I'm very happy with it although with H.264 it could do better...515 Fps speed ok it's tremendous but my GTX 970 did about 350-380 Fps so it's not even 2x performance while gaming the performance is more than 2 GTX 970s.

The main issue is that the card has an H.265 decoder which I can use on Potplayer to decode 400 Mbps videos like butter, but I cannot use that HEVC decoder to edit H.265 content..why? I use DVD Fab mainly because of its MKV support, I haven't tried yet Adobe media encoder or Premiere pro because it doesn't support MKV. I'm a bit confused, as I tried Pavtube, Fonepaw, Media Coder, Acrok and none of those could get me HEVC decoded. Some of them couldn't even let me enable CUDA acceleration....On DVD Fab it says that the HEVC decoder is not compatible with my card..and I've installed the correct drivers, even reverted back to 4 different versions doing a clean install but nothing worked....I'm still stucked decoding H.265 when it comes to edit because I cannot decode it and re-encode if the source is HEVC..takes my 4790K about 7 hours to do that... any idea guys? I'm using Windows 10, it seems that no software has support for the new GTX 1000 series CUDA software in HEVC decoding for editing.

Solution
Thanks! I'm just trying to compress/encode files to H.265, and some of the files are in RAW and H.265 already (H.265 to H.265 is in order to just make the file smaller with like 90% of the original quality). The thing is that if the source is H.264 then there's no problem because there's support in DVD Fab to decode H.264 and re-encode to H.265 with CUDA GPU. The story comes when I try to decode H.265 and re-encode to H.265 to make the file smaller...there something doesn't seem to work because the GPU is supposed to have HEVC decode and encode support but it just uses raw CPU power, the GPU just gets completely bipassed...that's what I was asking if anyone new why is this happening because my GTX 1070 has HEVC decode and encode...
Hi, I'm not to sure what you mean by 'HEVC decoder to edit H.265 content'. Do you mean you want to edit an existing HEVC file or do you mean you want to take a file in another format and encode it to HEVC and put it in a MKV container?

I don't have the processing power to do anything but play HEVC files - but the few folks I know who do encode them all seem to use 'handbrake'. If memory serves, i think he said if you want to do 10 bit color depth - you have to use the 'nightly' version of handbrake. I'm not sure what hardware acceleration handbreak supports.

Woxter

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
Thank you for the feedback, I didn't consider using Handbrake because it doesn't support AMD or NVIDIA cards (CUDA or Open CL) it just supports Intel Quick Sync, I have a 4790K overcloked to 4.8 GHz and even though I can't do anything other than playback 4K HEVC because the encoding time is like 7 hours, something like 6-15 Fps while my old 970 did it in 15 minutes at 225 Fps, haven't tried with the 1070. By HEVC decoder to edit H.265 content I mean both, encode from a RAW file to H.265 MKV (not GPU supported by software but yes by GPU itself...) and also to encode from both H.264 and H.265 source to H.265.

Ok ... my friend is coming over on the weekend - if you haven't got good answers here by then, I'll get him to have a look at your posts. I think the bulk of what he does is blu-ray to HEVC at 1080p with 10 bit color depth using 2 pass software decoding only (i believe he uses a server for this) but he'd likely have some good thoughts about what you're trying to do.

To me something sounds not quite right about that 970 doing 225 Fps in 15 mins - was it actually compressing the files or just copying them over to HEVC format at essential the same file size? But having said that ... I don't know a lot about the encoding end of things except that it seems to take a long time to squeeze them down to a tight size.

Woxter

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
Thanks! I'm just trying to compress/encode files to H.265, and some of the files are in RAW and H.265 already (H.265 to H.265 is in order to just make the file smaller with like 90% of the original quality). The thing is that if the source is H.264 then there's no problem because there's support in DVD Fab to decode H.264 and re-encode to H.265 with CUDA GPU. The story comes when I try to decode H.265 and re-encode to H.265 to make the file smaller...there something doesn't seem to work because the GPU is supposed to have HEVC decode and encode support but it just uses raw CPU power, the GPU just gets completely bipassed...that's what I was asking if anyone new why is this happening because my GTX 1070 has HEVC decode and encode functions even at 10 bit with HDR. It seems a Windows issue or a software issue.

The 225 Fps in 15 minutes with my old GTX 970 worked fine, it just compressed the files encoding them, but that was just if I had an H.264 source, now I'm having like 80% of the files in HEVC so I have to make my way there to compress them, I can't just do it with Handbrake, although it runs H.264 to H.264 at 200 Fps with my CPU (GPU on DVD Fab is 515 Fps) and it's an incredible piece of software it just missing GPU acceleration support, it does have Intel Quick Sync but I can't use that as I have my 1070 installed and from time to time I do gaming and other GPU Acceleration based stuff.

Again, thank you for the feedback!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS