GTX 1070 overkill for 1080p@60hz? is 144hz worth the extra cost?

wotwotwotwot

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
So i'm currently planning on doing a sizable upgrade any time now (pretty much as soon as i have some feedback).

My upgrade includes:

R9 280x -> GTX1070
8gb 1600mhz ram -> 16gb 1866hmz ram
5 year old crappy TN monitor -> Brand new IPS monitor.

My biggest question would be, is the 1070 overkill for 1080p@60fps? Eventually i wish to upgrade to either 1440p@144hz or 4k@60hz, however this upgrade is simply far too expensive at the moment. I just want to open a new game, max out everything, and run the game without any fps drops. I'm also tempted to get a 1080p@144hz monitor, however these are reasons i've seen against it:

- Much more expensive (more than double the price in my area)

- Colors aren't as good on a TN panel

- I don't play any fps games competitively (like CS:GO) so i won't get as much of a benefit

- apparently getting varying fps (like 80fps - 110fps) on a non g-sync 144hz monitor causes screen tearing. I wouldn't know since i've never had one before, but i hear allot of people complain about it on forums.

So to sum it all up, is the GTX 1070 overkill for future proofing 1080p@60fps gaming? Is it worth shelling out the extra $300 for a 144hz monitor? (yes it really is $300 more expensive, i'm Australian, we get screwed over with our prices. Also keep in mind i'm 17 with a low paying job, so $300 is allot of money for me)

Thanks for any input.

Solution
the 1070 would be overkill, especially if you're running on a tight budget
the R9 280x should do fine for most games at 1080p/60Hz

144Hz is only really worth it imo if you play at least in some kind of team on some kind of semi-professional level
other than that it's a nice gimmick if you got the cash but if you don't - and it sounds as you don't - you're better off with a nice IPS display with good colours and contrast and upgrading your rig every once in a while

16GB RAM is also...nice to have but not mandatory. 8 GB should be enough for another year at least.
I was gaming yesterday while watching a movie on the other display and having 17 Tabs browser open in the background and hardly used 6 GB RAM
I too see a lot of people...
yes, the GTX 1070 is a complete overkill for 1080p@60Hz - i have it.
The reason I went this card, is that i do plan to upgrade to 3440x1440 monitor when they released with DP 1.4 (i want it to be over 100Hz).
the 144Hz panel is not only for FPS games. It is for much more fluid motion.
regarding the screen tearing - there is a Fast Sync on pascal cards - works very well.
GTX 1070 is for 1080p@144Hz or above. Even with 1440p, i'd go for higher than 60hz.

the 1070 would be overkill, especially if you're running on a tight budget
the R9 280x should do fine for most games at 1080p/60Hz

144Hz is only really worth it imo if you play at least in some kind of team on some kind of semi-professional level
other than that it's a nice gimmick if you got the cash but if you don't - and it sounds as you don't - you're better off with a nice IPS display with good colours and contrast and upgrading your rig every once in a while

16GB RAM is also...nice to have but not mandatory. 8 GB should be enough for another year at least.
I was gaming yesterday while watching a movie on the other display and having 17 Tabs browser open in the background and hardly used 6 GB RAM
I too see a lot of people complaning about it but honestly it's a bit about your personal preference. maybe I experienced screen tearing but didn't notice it, maybe I didn't. I think it comes down a bit to what's important to you and how...educated your senses are. it's like most people can't hear a difference between a dedicated soundcard and an onboard chip, some can and can't stand the cheaper chip.

if you're on a budget I'd go with a nice IPS display (especially if you call your old one crappy) and save the money
or maybe upgrade the RAM alongside if you feel you need it.
if you're maxing out your 280x already for some reason, a 1060 would be the way to go or a Rx480
I'm not sure the 280X supports freesynch (the Rx480 does) but if it does and you get a display with freesynch that will eliminate screen tearing anyway (just make sure it's a good display and not some 25-45Hz freesynching)

Solution

wotwotwotwot

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014

Thanks, the 280x can still run games at 60fps, however i'm having to tweak pretty much every new game that comes out to get it to that frame rate. Some new games i'm having to go to low settings to get 60fps. I guess what i want out of a new card is the power to max out every single game (or at the very least the vast majority of them) and not have to worry about getting below 60fps (on average). It's honestly getting tiring (especially with steam sales) spending 30 minutes each time i get a new game fiddling around with settings trying to get the best look, but also constant 60fps.

Hmm, i guess i have some decisions to make.

Jay Santos

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015

If you want eye candy you gotta pay.

Even with GTA5 and my 1070, there would be times when frame rates would take a slight dip below 60fps. But that's usually because the screen is busy with a lot of cops and every slider is turned up. Specially advanced graphics settings. I have everything turned up and the game looks fantastic. However, shadows are quite taxing. I just learned to deal with it. Even 1080s and Titans experiences some dips from time to time.

wotwotwotwot

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014

Been using the 1070 for a few days now, great card but i agree you really gotta dish out money if you want the best experience lol. I have zero clue how anyone can think this thing is overkill for 1080p gaming. Bought allot of new games on steam (like Dues Ex, ARK, Arma 3) and was regularly getting 40-50fps and even lower at max settings. That's not even close to overkill. I wouldn't even consider the GTX 1080 overkill for 1080p gaming after testing this out. Unless it can max every single game out there at 60fps+ with ease it is not overkill. Yes i was getting 80fps+ for most games i've tested out, but those were mostly 1+ years old at least. (dying light, far cry 4, GTA V).