Question GTX 1070 Really loud - one fan is a lot slower than the other two

saltySquash

Honorable
Nov 12, 2016
My 1070 has started getting really loud suddenly, and i think it's because the two other fans are running faster to compensate the speed. It can be pretty quiet for one second and then suddenly it's just as loud as an old washing machine. From the data i've been able to access, it looks like the third one is running at just 120 RPM, while the other two is fine.

16 gb ram
gtx 1070
i7-6700k
Z-170k

Last edited:
What's the make/brand of your Video card ? Is it a triple fan air cooler ? Which Power supply unit are you using ? Make sure the GPU is properly seated firmly on the PCI-express slot, and all the PCI-E cables are connected as well.

When does this behavior occur, fans spinning randomly ? In IDLE desktop Mode, or when you play Games ? How OLD is this Video card ?

saltySquash

Honorable
Nov 12, 2016
Asus, Yes triple fan, ts 550 xfs sew, i've checked,

It occurs when playing almost any game, and sometimes on the desktop, it's 4 years old.

I'm considering to buy a RTX 2070 to replace it, do you think that this power supply would be enough?
And i'll also order a new fan for the 1070 and see if that would fix it, then sell it maybe.

Well, I think your current PSU is okay, and for the RTX 2070 Nvidia recommends a min 550 Watts PSU. Though, if you can upgrade to a higher Wattage PSU, then it would be much better, for some extra headroom.

But I think that XFX PSU is a decent power supply, IMO, though I lack knowledge when it comes to power supplies, so I'm not sure !! The Moderators, and other forum members might be able to guide you much better than me, since they have good knowledge about PC/hardware.

saltySquash

Honorable
Nov 12, 2016
Today the fan is running smoothly again? All i did was setting the fan speed a little bit up in Afterburner. Isn't that weird? And all the click and scratch sounds and loud fan noise stopped. What is the optimal setting for fan speed, right now i have it on 52%, and it seems to work fine.