[SOLVED] GTX 1070 Spontaneously Catches Fire

MachoTaco24

Honorable
Apr 29, 2017
My EVGA GTX 1070 FTW decided to bite the dust today and caught fire. I wanted to post here just to make sure if there was anything I could do and what could have happened to it. I've had zero problems with it for the past 5 years of use, but obviously, heavy utilization can add up. I've attached photos of the affected areas here: View: https://imgur.com/a/KrfLIEd

This came out of nowhere while playing CS:GO, not sure if it's relevant but I did some heavy video rendering yesterday. Luckily my chipset wasn't touched, and I also have a relatively new (Feb. 2021) EVGA G3 850 W PSU. Hopefully I can find a new 3080 without selling a kidney.

Thanks for any help!

Solution
I’ve wondered about selling the 1070 and going for a 1080, but the 1070 does all I need it to. Used ones seem to be around 300 on eBay. Basically 1660 super performance for less cash.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
IDK if you watch shows like northridgefix on YouTube:

NorthridgeFix - YouTube

...but THAT card looks to me like a parts donor.

I would likely check/test that power supply before plugging in to another card unless you don't mind it possibly being blown up too. Could have "just" been a card failure, but as hard as GPU are to find I am not sure I would chance it.

MachoTaco24

Honorable
Apr 29, 2017
IDK if you watch shows like northridgefix on YouTube:

NorthridgeFix - YouTube

...but THAT card looks to me like a parts donor.

I would likely check/test that power supply before plugging in to another card unless you don't mind it possibly being blown up too. Could have "just" been a card failure, but as hard as GPU are to find I am not sure I would chance it.

Yeah, I'm not banking on this card ever working again. I'll try some methods to test the PSU. I'm hoping it's just the card as it's much older than the PSU, and if a PSU were to overvolt one item I feel it would affect multiple. I'm nowhere near an expert, but finding the cause would help ease some fears of getting a new expensive graphics card.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Thanks for making me feel better lol. I’ve got a 1070 as well. Mine is a zotac 1070 mini. I paid about 400 for it, upgraded from a 970. So I’m hoping it will last until I’m ready to upgrade. Hopefully you can find a deal on a replacement.

In what is going on something like a 1070 or better is practically a golden ticket. It's still fully capable of playing AAA games at high settings 1080/60 on most anything. In this veritable wasteland where influencers are trying to tell us how a GT 1030 is supposed to be a "gaming" worthy card, just so they can have content.....

It actually rather blows me away to consider that when I bought both of these 1080's it was during the previous mining craze, and I could MAKE money selling them now. Crazy.