[SOLVED] Gtx 1070 strix pcie speed issue ?

ibubu16

Reputable
Feb 22, 2018
Hey guys I’m wondering if anyone could help...

So I remember playing FH4 One day a couple of weeks ago, took my PC to my living room to try it out on my tv, balls to the walls HDR blah blah blah..

I took it back to my room later that day and forza started being Real choppy, I was able to play on ultra @ 75hz 1080p but not any more I can barely pull low @75

I was looking at the issue, forums whatnot etc, couldn’t find anything,

couple of weeks pass and I was talking about Silicon Quality of cpus to my friend, went into bios started checking everything that was there and bam, turns out my card is running 2x native in the 16x pcie slot and hell knows how long its been running at that speed,

gpu z is showing 16 x 3.0 @ 16x 1.1

I’m a bit afraid that my GPU is on its way out or the mobo is somehow done but I don’t see how I could damage it, I pretty much never take my PC appart, when I clean it i try to do it with compressed air but I am lucky enough to own two pc’s and later today I will Chuck the other pc’s gpu in mine to see what it says, meanwhile, let me know possible solutions, reasons why it might have happened and what to do next.

Solution
Ok I fixed it and here’s how...

So it was a combintion of two things I took my gpu out and re-seated it, it turns out it might have not been „clicked” in properly,

i took out my cmos battery and reset the whole bios,

Voila card started running at 16x then I proceded to set my pcie speeds at 16x and gen 3.0 went into gpu z and it started running 16 3.0 @ 16 3.0, checked bus speeds and everything is fine,

recieved my 34” 2k 144hz monitor too so plugged that in and forza runs at 2k high around 120ish fps No chops No stutters,

and I even realised my nvme was running in sata mode which I switches to pcie and x4 ( Gotta use all those 24 sweet pcie lanes ).
Hey guys I’m wondering if anyone could help...

So I remember playing FH4 One day a couple of weeks ago, took my PC to my living room to try it out on my tv, balls to the walls HDR blah blah blah..

I took it back to my room later that day and forza started being Real choppy, I was able to play on ultra @ 75hz 1080p but not any more I can barely pull low @75

I was looking at the issue, forums whatnot etc, couldn’t find anything,

couple of weeks pass and I was talking about Silicon Quality of cpus to my friend, went into bios started checking everything that was there and bam, turns out my card is running 2x native in the 16x pcie slot and hell knows how long its been running at that speed,

gpu z is showing 16 x 3.0 @ 16x 1.1

I’m a bit afraid that my GPU is on its way out or the mobo is somehow done but I don’t see how I could damage it, I pretty much never take my PC appart, when I clean it i try to do it with compressed air but I am lucky enough to own two pc’s and later today I will Chuck the other pc’s gpu in mine to see what it says, meanwhile, let me know possible solutions, reasons why it might have happened and what to do next.
It's conflicting between the tv and monitor. It's still remembering the tv partly this is a issue every now and then. Generally uninstall and rinstall the gpu drivers will work

ibubu16

Reputable
Feb 22, 2018
Unfortunately I don’t think that would work, I have reinstalled windows since then and I’m talking about my bios here, its showing x2 native, usually that would be X1/4/8/16 not 2..

ibubu16

Reputable
Feb 22, 2018
I went on other forums while I was unable to sleep... 2am Poland time...

So it seems that 1). my Aio might be screwed on too tight,

2). that I just need to reset bios/cmos

3) a very dark scenario is that the pcie port or the gpu is bad

I’ll update in about 3 or so hours to confirm if anything worked.

Reactions: white.a.drew

ibubu16

Reputable
Feb 22, 2018
Ok I fixed it and here’s how...

So it was a combintion of two things I took my gpu out and re-seated it, it turns out it might have not been „clicked” in properly,

i took out my cmos battery and reset the whole bios,

Voila card started running at 16x then I proceded to set my pcie speeds at 16x and gen 3.0 went into gpu z and it started running 16 3.0 @ 16 3.0, checked bus speeds and everything is fine,

recieved my 34” 2k 144hz monitor too so plugged that in and forza runs at 2k high around 120ish fps No chops No stutters,

and I even realised my nvme was running in sata mode which I switches to pcie and x4 ( Gotta use all those 24 sweet pcie lanes ).

Reactions: white.a.drew
Solution