GTX 1070 Ti Freezing the unfreezing

waitandhope123

Commendable
Nov 29, 2016
Titan Fall 2, Rise of Tomb Raider, I'm sure others will freeze a few seconds then unfreeze. I've looked at Afterburner and see the GPU drop, but have no idea how to figure out the cause.

Solution
HWMonitor can do it, but it's not 'real-time' (ie you have to minimize to see it). MSI Afterburner/RivaTuner with the OSD set to show CPU/RAM/VRAM/GPU usage would be my suggestion.

waitandhope123

Commendable
Nov 29, 2016
I was using hwinfo to monitor the temps, didn't exceed 60C. What's weird is the game will freeze for a few seconds, unfreeze and act normal, but event viewer doesn't show anything occurring. Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition seemed to freeze and turn grey then never unfreeze, the others unfreeze so maybe that was because I was using the Duke character I'm not sure. What should I do? lol Confusing will try DDU again but I doubt it will work because it was freezing before and I used DDU and it didn't help.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
How are your utilizations ? CPU/RAM/GPU? If either your CPU or RAM is pegged at 100% usage, the GPU is hindered there and won't be doing anything - would result in stutters and (potentially) an apparent 'freeze'. Similarly, if the GPU is pegged at 100%, it could work in reverse.....

waitandhope123

Commendable
Nov 29, 2016
How would I monitor this during the stutter event? What to use? You think an i5 7400 would not be enough for a 1070 Ti running Titan Fall 2 or something? What to use to monitor event?

waitandhope123

Commendable
Nov 29, 2016
Solution was as follows, based on this thread https://www.reddit.com/r/RocketLeague/comments/6h2fmg/xbox_one_controller_on_pc_low_battery_freezing/

Basically when my XBOX ONE S Bluetooth controller starts getting low batteries I should change them, otherwise the games will freeze when it disconnects and it seems random but reviewing the event viewer shows it lost connection thereby leading to the freezes. Fairly silly but the solution is replace batteries regularly or maybe get that USB adapter connect though that as someone said it won't freeze anymore using that even on low batteries.