Gtx 1070 ti or Gtx 1080

Kiwiguy

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015
Hi. Should i get a Gtx 1070 ti when it come out or a gtx 1080. 1070 ti Cheaper and newer so i want it but 1080 is very good too so what should i get?

Solution
well newer=better doesn't really apply here. Judging by the unconfirmed reports it's the same GPU (GP104) it's built on the same fab, identical chip size and power requirements. The 1070ti appears to be just a cut down 1080, with more CUDA cores and higher clocks than the regular 1070.

The 1080 will still perform better. End of.

samyakjain222

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017

Newer=Better
Based on your pocket (money) Buy the graphics card that fits your budget.

Well the 1070ti isn't even out yet and no benchmarks are here yet. From what it seems it's going to be very close to a 1080.

newer =/= better in this case, it's the same chip as the 1080, all 1080's in the market now will be from recent production, so they are essentially the same.

See what the pricing is like, but remember current reports are that the 1070ti cannot be OC'd but the 1080 can.

well newer=better doesn't really apply here. Judging by the unconfirmed reports it's the same GPU (GP104) it's built on the same fab, identical chip size and power requirements. The 1070ti appears to be just a cut down 1080, with more CUDA cores and higher clocks than the regular 1070.

The 1080 will still perform better. End of.

Solution

haha, you just nipped in there before me! :)

Kevin_Smith

Honorable
Sep 3, 2014

Hey I thought i'd sum up things for you.
A gtx 1070 has always been known to be a good bang for your buck ( You get a lot of performance for the price you pay)
I think the gtx 1070ti will be based on the same concept. So yes, if you're willing to wait for it, you should get it.
It will certainly be better than a gtx 1070 and will most likely bring similar performance to the gtx 1080, but at lower cost.

P.S I plan on getting the gtx 1070ti for my brother's pc,

well, if you want best performance the 1080. If you want a cheaper GPU within 10% of the 1080 get the 1070ti.

Depends on what res monitor you have, what games you play, and what the rest of your system specs are to determine which would be more useful and give you better results, or at least your desired results.

The 1080 is about 20% faster than the 1070. And lets say the 1070ti is about 10% below the 1080 (it's hard to extrapolate without actually testing the card ). Unlike Kevin, I don't think it will be similar performance to the 1080 otherwise Nvidia would be cannibalising their own sales of the 1080. So a 10% difference between the 1070ti and 1080 seems about right.

It'll be closer than that, BUT it won't boost as high and it won't OC, so stock to stock the difference is small, but potential to potential is much much higher.

Well, there's roughly 10% less CUDA cores, so it would seem about right for the difference, perhaps you could have a +/- 2% difference for clockspeeds or whatever, but on the same architecture it won't be as close as maybe your suggesting. And like i said, why would Nvidia have a card that's close to the performance of the 1080, only to destroy sales of the more expensive card. But we we'll just have to wait and see I guess.

With all of that said, lets be clear here. This is cynical from Nvidia. It's a release of a card purely to beat out Vega 56 by a small amount, and hopefully garner sales.
From the OP's point of view, without knowing his system, res or games he's playing having the vanilla 1070 might actually be cheaper and perfect for his setup.

Try less than 5pct http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-ti-full-specs-leak-clocks-detailed/

well that article says 5-10% so i think with what we've discussed we are in the same ballpark :)