[SOLVED] GTX 1070 TI with a no signal but windows sound on

Felipe Felix

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
Hi everyone. I bought a used Palit GTX 1070 TI 8GB from a trustable used shop and after setting it up, it took like 5 minutes for the screen to get green-ish black.

At first, everything was huge, cause I had no driver installed (or I had but from my old QUADRO) and then it corrected automatically but then it blanked.

I can hear the windows initializing, but connecting the GPU with a display port in my LG Ultra HD (3840x2160@60Hz) gets me a "NO SIGNAL" (in all three of them); using the HDMI port I see this something like the image below (the inner area is brighter but still dark):

bc2134b726b612bc664d42656316247c.png

I have one more generic monitor here and when I tried to connect it, I receive a message saying the resolution was too low, like 640x380 or something, and that I should correct the PC resolution - also no signal.

I'm connecting my CORSAIR RM650x with a 6+2 pin into the GPU and its fans are spinning normally - I guess. No strange sounds from it.

I'll drop here my other pc parts for reference:

-Windows 10 Home 64-bit
- Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.40GHz
-16.0GB Dual-Channel RAM @ 1065MHz
-ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. B150M-A (LGA1151) - BIOS VERSION 3805 (5/16/2018)
-223GB SanDisk Ultra II 240GB (SATA (SSD))
-931GB TOSHIBA DT01ABA100V (SATA )

Things I tried to do: cleaning my new GPU with an eraser; changing my memories from one slot to another; taking of the motherboard battery for 30 minutes and putting it back; taking of the PSU power supply than pressed the power-on button for 1minute and finally reset everything (saw that on Youtube); trying other HDMI and PSU cables (although my current cables are working fine with my old GPU); trying to install 1070ti's driver and then reset the pc;

Any other ideas?? Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
I am using the 6+2 pin from the PSU to the GPU. Would it be better trying some 8 pin adaptor or it doesn't matter?

Nope. That's not necessary. You already have a good PSU, having sufficient PCI-e cables for the Video card. Using any MOLEX adapter cable is not usually recommended. Can you check the GPU on some other system, if possible ?

Felipe Felix

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
Nope. That's not necessary. You already have a good PSU, having sufficient PCI-e cables for the Video card. Using any MOLEX adapter cable is not usually recommended. Can you check the GPU on some other system, if possible?

I brought the GPU back to the store and got another used one to try.. my current status is as indicated in the thread itself (I updated it).

Last edited:

Felipe Felix

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
Thanks for the update. So, do you plan to buy a NEW Video card now?

Thank you for the follow-up!

After that, I'm not sure if I should focus on a new GPU or maybe upgrade my motherboard right now.
I read other threads from people with similar "no signal" and some of them didn't solve the problem with new GPUs.. that scares me.

In this particular situation, would you consider the possibility that something might be wrong with my motherboard?
I mean, I bought it like 4 years ago so, maybe a good time to upgrade?

Or maybe I should just look for a new GPU with a guarantee from a brand that would be "more compatible" with my motherboard.

As for the GPU, what would you recommend to combine with my ASUS B150M-A (LGA1151)? Something in between 1060~1070 ti budget.

I don't think your MOBO might be faulty, because the card didn't work on the store as well, and you got your money back as well. Buying a NEW branded GPU might be a much better option, imo. But don't make any purchase right now. Wait for few more weeks, since both AMD and NVIDIA are releasing next-gen GPUs, the RTX SUPER series, but this is just basically a refresh, and the new NAVI mainstream GPUs.

What's your budget for the GPU though ??

Last edited:

Felipe Felix

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
I don't think your MOBO might be faulty, because the card didn't work on the store as well, and you got your money back as well. Buying a NEW branded GPU might be a much better option, imo. But don't make any purchase right now. Wait for few more weeks, since both AMD and NVIDIA are releasing next-gen GPUs, the RTX SUPER series, but this is just basically a refresh, and the new NAVI mainstream GPUs.

What's your budget for the GPU though ??

Wow, seems good news (if the price is not too high :p)
I was thinking about spending $300max on a new GPU.
I was taking a look at Amazon and got interested about this Asus Nvidia GTX 1660.. its like $275.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
If you're willing to play down at 1080p, you can get a lot of new GPUs for $300 that will run it well. GPUs aren't something I generally recommend buying used because the warranty is a very big deal. 1070 Tis don't tend to be in the sweet spot for budget/performance, even new. I can't say what the availability is, but in most markets, $300 gets you into new 2060 territory and that trades blows with a 1070 Ti.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

Felipe Felix

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
If you're willing to play down at 1080p, you can get a lot of new GPUs for $300 that will run it well. GPUs aren't something I generally recommend buying used because the warranty is a very big deal. 1070 Tis don't tend to be in the sweet spot for budget/performance, even new. I can't say what the availability is, but in most markets, $300 gets you into new 2060 territory and that trades blows with a 1070 Ti.

So, do you think a Asus GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB Phoenix Fan would be a good choice?
It's over my budget, like $400 here in Japan, but maybe a good investment?

Wait for few more weeks since both AMD and NVIDIA are releasing next-gen GPUs, the RTX SUPER series

Maybe wait for the SUPER series would cost me more?

TRENDING THREADS