GTX 1070 Upgrade to GTX 1080 TI or wait for Vega?

ranzis

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
Hi,

My current system specs are:
i7-3770K 4.2ghz
Cryorig H7
16gb ddr3 HyperX
Palit GTX 1070 Super Jetstream
Seasonic M12II-750w
Samsung EVO SSD
1080p 60hz monitor

I'm planning to buy a 1440p 144hz IPS monitor. From what I can see, GTX 1070 can't get 60+ fps stable max settings for AAA games on 1440p. Perhaps it might do worse with upcoming games this year or on 2018. Do you think it will be good to sell my GTX 1070 now before its resale price goes down in the used market then get a 1080 TI? Or is it better to wait for the high end Vega this July or August or whenever? This will also affect whether my next monitor will be a GSYNC or Freesync monitor.

Thanks!

Solution
Nobody knows what vega will bring, or what the nvidia response will do.
If you have a need now, buy now.
Today, GTX1080ti represents the best you can do with a single card.
Vega may match it, or may not.
Gsync monitors seem to be very expensive.
Perhaps that expense is not worth it with a very strong card like a GTX1080ti.

The value of monitor control of the refresh rate applies when the graphics card can not keep up with the monitor refresh rate. You will have less need for such control if the monitor you select does not permit a high refresh rate, or if your graphics card is sufficiently strong enough to sustain that rate.
With higher resolution, you will have less need forhigh aa settings.
AA is one of the more demanding settings...

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable
I really highly doubt Vega will have anything that can seriously compete with a 1080 Ti like they claim, but I guess miracles can happen. But it has never been the case that AMD has made a single card solution that can compete with Nvidia. They may get close but I really doubt they will be able to beat the 1080 Ti. As far as what you want to do, only a 1080 Ti will be capable of hitting 144Hz on Ultra settings at 1440p as a single card setup (which is the best setup for gaming in general) in newer AAA titles such as Battlefield 1. So if you would rather wait and see what AMD is going to do (again I really doubt they will be able to actually make something that will beat a 1080 Ti like they claim) or if you don't want to wait or don't want to play at 60fps until you can upgrade the GPU, just upgrade now.

You have a decent CPU, and with a good overclock it will perform as good or very close to a 6700K OC. Mine is at 4.6GHz and I play at 3440x1440p and I can get about 110fps average on BF1 on Ultra. (there are some spots it can't hang but the game is just ridiculous) Lowest I get on BF1 is on "The Runner" and I average about 85fps there and will dip to about 75ish.

Taking out the extra aspect ratio stuff I have you could easily add about 40fps to mine and that's about what you would get.

Apart from that there are the CPU/memory bound games I have trouble with. Namely WoW and Fallout 4. In WoW not even on Ultra I can't get more than 50fps in some parts of the newest raid. Just can't. Way too much crap going on and its a crap optimized game that only uses one core.

In Fallout 4 I have to have it uncapped because for some asinine reason it caps me to 25 on my monitor. I am fairly certain that uncapping it has introduced problems that overly strain my CPU because in that (where I should be rock solid at 100fps at any given point, I can hit as low as 55fps in some parts of the game (namely in downtown Boston areas it is the worst). But I can't test that theory because capped it is set to 25 and I can't do a damned thing about it, i've tried everything. Anyways. That's just a warning to be prepared to not be able to hit 144Hz in EVERYTHING. But for the most part you should be able to do it no problem.

My recommendation is to go ahead and buy your new monitor and see how you do in YOUR games.
If/when your graphics performance is not what you want, then buy what you do need.
My guess is that you will do better than you think.
With a higher density monitor, you will have less need for high aa levels.
aa is one of the performance hogs on a graphics card.
And... keep your 1080P attached as a side monitor for email, monitors and such.
It will not impact your gaming.

Today, prices of GTX cards are up.
That is because RX5xx cards are being bought up for bitcoin mining.
That creates a demand for the GTX... replacements on both the new and used markets.

ranzis

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017

Thanks for your reply! The thing is, my next GPU will determine if I should buy a 1440p GSYNC or Freesync monitor. This is why I would like to know if I should upgrade to 1080ti and buy a Gsync monitor or wait for Vega and buy a Freesync monitor then.

ranzis

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017

Thanks for the very informative comment! Do you think upgrading to a 1080 TI now together with a Gsync monitor is better than waiting for Vega and buying a Freesync monitor?

Nobody knows what vega will bring, or what the nvidia response will do.
If you have a need now, buy now.
Today, GTX1080ti represents the best you can do with a single card.
Vega may match it, or may not.
Gsync monitors seem to be very expensive.
Perhaps that expense is not worth it with a very strong card like a GTX1080ti.

The value of monitor control of the refresh rate applies when the graphics card can not keep up with the monitor refresh rate. You will have less need for such control if the monitor you select does not permit a high refresh rate, or if your graphics card is sufficiently strong enough to sustain that rate.
With higher resolution, you will have less need forhigh aa settings.
AA is one of the more demanding settings for a graphics card.

Perhaps irrelevant, but I just tested civ 4 using a GTX1050ti and a 4k freesync monitor.
Amazing 60 fps with max eye candy! No stuttering moving the map.

Solution

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable

I've never tried freesync, but from what I have seen of G-sync its really awesome. And like most people agree, it is very doubtful that AMD will produce anything that will actually beat a 1080 Ti, so it is very debatable that they will make anything that will get close to what you want. Having said that, G-sync and Nvidia tech are very expensive. You're looking at around $1500 for a good 1440 144Hz G-sync monitor and 1080 Ti combo.
Freesync monitors are significantly cheaper and AMD cards are always cheaper.
But if you have the money and are willing to spend it I wouldn't wait (I am also impatient) and just get the G-sync and Nvidia card.

But it would probably be smarter to wait and see. But I am impatient and I don't like waiting, hence why I have an X34 that I bought six months ago when the X34P is right around the corner as well.