Question GTX 1070 using only 50w

Nov 16, 2023
I have an HP Omen 17 -w294nz
Whenever I want to open a game or benchmark like Unigine Haven for example , the card stays at 50w and has poor performance . With or without the adapter pluged in. The adapter is not the original one and the laptop charges super slow. Can this be the problem, Does this laptop not perform without the original Adapter?

Nov 16, 2023
What this sounds like is that the replacement charger may not have the same output amperage that the laptop needs. Compare the spec of the replacement to the original.
it has the same output as the original one, but i still think is a problem with the adapter because it's charging super slow!!!

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
In addition to wattage, you have to consider the Ah rating as well. This can be shown various ways on a charger.

Is the one you purchased an official replacement or something found online?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Have you checked the health of the battery? Many gaming laptops use the battery as a supplemental power source when under heavy load.

You mention the battery is charging slowly? Does it still give you decent battery life?

Get a detailed battery report in Windows 11​

If you’re interested in getting more technical info about your battery usage and estimated capacity, you can use the Powerfg command-line option that’s built into Windows 11 to generate a battery report.

1. Select Search on the taskbar, type Command prompt, press and hold (or right-click) Command prompt, and then select Run as administrator > Yes.
  2. At the command prompt, type powercfg /batteryreport, then press Enter.

The battery report will be an HTML file that’s stored in a folder on your PC. The file location will be shown in the Command Prompt window.
  3. Open File Explorer, go to the folder that the report was saved to, and then double-click the battery report (HTML file) to open it in your web browser.
    You can get a lot of detailed info about your battery usage and capacity. Some particular sections you might want to look at to get started include the following: Installed battery, Recent usage, and Battery usage.

Nov 16, 2023
I have got a second hand laptop HP OMEN 17-w294nz
specs:i7 7700 hq
GTX 1070 8gb
16gb ddr4 2400mhz
SSD Samsung evo 980
everything is fine but when i try to open a game the gpu is staying at 50 degrees not higher than that and also consuming just 50w of power.
I have the latest drivers, also activated best performance power plan on windows, and checked with msi afterburner to see that the gtx 1070 is the gpu used and the laptop was pluged in at all times, i have no other ideas as of why it is like this
Can anyone help me?

Nov 16, 2023
it has the same output as the original one, but i still think is a problem with the adapter because it's charging super slow!!!
and also The adapter that i have is making a weird noise when is pluged in
Have you checked the health of the battery? Many gaming laptops use the battery as a supplemental power source when under heavy load.

You mention the battery is charging slowly? Does it still give you decent battery life?

Get a detailed battery report in Windows 11​

If you’re interested in getting more technical info about your battery usage and estimated capacity, you can use the Powerfg command-line option that’s built into Windows 11 to generate a battery report.

1. Select Search on the taskbar, type Command prompt, press and hold (or right-click) Command prompt, and then select Run as administrator > Yes.
  2. At the command prompt, type powercfg /batteryreport, then press Enter.

The battery report will be an HTML file that’s stored in a folder on your PC. The file location will be shown in the Command Prompt window.
  3. Open File Explorer, go to the folder that the report was saved to, and then double-click the battery report (HTML file) to open it in your web browser.
    You can get a lot of detailed info about your battery usage and capacity. Some particular sections you might want to look at to get started include the following: Installed battery, Recent usage, and Battery usage.
So i unplugged the battery and it suddenly worked great , apart from the graphics, the cpu is boosting to where it should and geting to a decent temp 78C, but the gpu no matter what workload i give to it , it stays at 50 degress consuming 50w, can this issue be related to the fact it needs a good working battery for the card to work? The grapchis card is an gtx 1070 tpd is 115w if i remember correctly

Joseph_138

Distinguished
Laptop power supplies are not something you want to cheap out on. A lot of them are unreliable, and some are even dangerous. You should always get an OEM power supply. Even a used OEM power supply can often be better than a brand new imported one from China. The seller may have replaced it at some point, or had one laying around that isn't the right spec for that laptop, and sold it with the laptop thinking you wouldn't know the difference.

Nov 16, 2023
Laptop power supplies are not something you want to cheap out on. A lot of them are unreliable, and some are even dangerous. You should always get an OEM power supply. Even a used OEM power supply can often be better than a brand new imported one from China. The seller may have replaced it at some point, or had one laying around that isn't the right spec for that laptop, and sold it with the laptop thinking you wouldn't know the difference.
I looked up and even thought it is not the original one it is the same spec.

TRENDING THREADS