Jul 11, 2022
I just bought Asus rog strix 1070 OC 8G .. it requires 8pin Power connector.. but my PSU don’t have 8pin or 6pin.
Can i use Dual Molex to 8-pin converter to power my 1070?
Ps: My PSU is 600W 80+ bronze

Jul 11, 2022
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

What specific make and model PSU? Source?

Original to build, new, refurbished, used?
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

What specific make and model PSU? Source?

Original to build, new, refurbished, used?
CPU: xeon e3 1281 v3
Motherboard: Intel b85
Ram: 16gb Corsair vengeance
Gpu: Asus Rog Strix 1070 OC 08G
Power Supply: FSP 600W model fsp600-80tbn series TBN (USED)
Power Supply Source: https://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/FSP.htm
Model: FSP600-80TBN
Series: TBN

Jul 11, 2022
Your psu does appear to have a 6+2 PCIE connector, use that. If you have some weird model that doesn't have it for some reason do not use adapters in this way.

Also your setup... I like it. With a 1070 it should be lots of fun!
No it doesn’t have any pci e connector..
Which PSU should i go for? Any suggestions?
Btw, thanks for liking..

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Power supplies are not created equal. Every psu vendor or manufacturer on the planet knows what a pcie 6+2 is for and has known for as long as gpus have required power plugs.

So the lack of pcie says 2 things. First, that the 12v rail that is the source of pcie power cannot support the 180w possible from a 6+2pin connection and Secondly the vendor/manufacturer absolutely knows this so purposely did not include that option.

That FSP is a closer to 20 year old group regulated design from back when pc's used a Lot more 3.3v and 5v DC and very little 12v. It's in reality closer to a 200w psu by modern standards than the 600w printed on the label.

Do not try and use molex-pcie adapters, the chances of the psu going up in smoke are very high with that kind of power draw on a rail that barely meets the minimums to run a non-powered gpu.

It's like having a little 4cyl car with a top speed of 70mph, and figuring you can get it to go 100mph by driving down a mountain road. Forgetting that the brakes on the car were never intended to try and stop that car from that speed.

Any halfway decent 550w (there are No decent 500/600w) psu will do. Look for psus with at least a 6+2pin And a 6pin pcie.

Jul 11, 2022
Power supplies are not created equal. Every psu vendor or manufacturer on the planet knows what a pcie 6+2 is for and has known for as long as gpus have required power plugs.

So the lack of pcie says 2 things. First, that the 12v rail that is the source of pcie power cannot support the 180w possible from a 6+2pin connection and Secondly the vendor/manufacturer absolutely knows this so purposely did not include that option.

That FSP is a closer to 20 year old group regulated design from back when pc's used a Lot more 3.3v and 5v DC and very little 12v. It's in reality closer to a 200w psu by modern standards than the 600w printed on the label.

Do not try and use molex-pcie adapters, the chances of the psu going up in smoke are very high with that kind of power draw on a rail that barely meets the minimums to run a non-powered gpu.

It's like having a little 4cyl car with a top speed of 70mph, and figuring you can get it to go 100mph by driving down a mountain road. Forgetting that the brakes on the car were never intended to try and stop that car from that speed.

Any halfway decent 550w (there are No decent 500/600w) psu will do. Look for psus with at least a 6+2pin And a 6pin pcie.
Back then, gpu didn’t require that kind of power thats why they didn’t include the pcie connectors in old psus .. what if i add a 8 pin cable to psu from any electrician or hardware shop?

Jul 11, 2022
Your psu does appear to have a 6+2 PCIE connector, use that. If you have some weird model that doesn't have it for some reason do not use adapters in this way.

Also your setup... I like it. With a 1070 it should be lots of fun!
Thanks man! I just looked in to my PSU, and hell yeah it does have 6+2 pin connector.. last time i had r9 270x which also required 6pin, so i bought molex to 6pin, but when i opened my system, 6pin was already there, so it was long time ago, i have forgotten that if i used molex or my psu had it. On your saying i again checked my psu, and remembered that my psu has 6+2pin connector ..
Thanks again!

Reactions: spentshells