Gtx 1070 with i7 880 good upgrade or no?

roudy-s

Reputable
Jan 21, 2017
Hello my friends i am very confused because i had an msi gtx 970 with an i5 750 i jave upgraded my cpu to an i7 880 because i cant go over that with my motherboard that is an intel dp55wb so this is the best that i can get and now i have upgraded my gtx to a gtx 1070 and it is great but what i want to say is that will i benefit from this upgrade that i have done from 970 to 1070 and from i5 to i7 because i have read that it is better to upgrade the gpu not the cpu because it will give you better performance so what you say and thank you should i be ok with this build or no? And my screen is an aoc 22e1h 1080p with 2 tb hard disk toshiba and i have 16 gb ram with silverstone powersupply 600w so am i good with this build and thank you.
Btw guys i cant get a new mobo and new cpu and new rams because if i upgrade the mobo i should upgrade everything so this is the best i can get with my budget but will i be able to play games smoothely and will i suffer from a lot of bottleneck or it is better from the previous build of i5 750 and gtx 970?

Solution
The hyper threading of the i7-880 could help quite a bit and you'd actually see decent performance in quite a few scenario's, however it won't always be enough. It'lll pull 50-60 fps in most games though, the i7-880 is still good enough for that. So if you're planning to optimise the graphics settings for 60 fps, you'll usually be fine with a GTX 1070.
I do not think that is a good idea.
Your I5 750 and your planned/new I7 880 should be already a bottleneck for 1070 on most of the new AAA games.
GTX970 is also still fully ok for 1080p.
I would thus recommend that you should stick with 970 and start planing to upgrade your processor, mobo and eventually also RAM.
I know you do not like this idea :)

I would just get a old I7 (don't get the 880 as those are stupidly high priced compared to the sllightly slower 860 or 870) and just save up for a new board + cpu + ram. A gtx 970 will be held back by even an I7 880 in quite a few games so getting a gtx 1070 is pointless.

I know it's not the answer you want but no matter what you do your current platform is simply too old.

roudy-s

Reputable
Jan 21, 2017
i cant afford all of that at the moment but simply wouldnt i get a small improvement from 970 to 1070 with the i7 that i have installed? and with these build i can play everything on ultra

You might see a tiny improvement in games that are really gpu bound but most of the time the 1070 will perform the same as your 970.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
The hyper threading of the i7-880 could help quite a bit and you'd actually see decent performance in quite a few scenario's, however it won't always be enough. It'lll pull 50-60 fps in most games though, the i7-880 is still good enough for that. So if you're planning to optimise the graphics settings for 60 fps, you'll usually be fine with a GTX 1070.

Solution

roudy-s

Reputable
Jan 21, 2017
Thank you my friend for this help i was worried alot about that thank you and by the way i have an AOC 22E1H monitor that is 60hz so not needing more than 60 fps it is more than enough

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
The i7-880 seems to average over 50 FPS (Even 60+ FPS in most) in the following games:
Far Cry 5
Fallout 4
Battlefield V
GTA V

What it tells you is that, in general, all of Intel's 4C/8T i7 processors have aged really well, well enough to still handle most games at 60 fps and more, even the first and second generations if the GPU is capable of that aswell.

Should be higher with a GTX 1070.... BOTTLENECK.....

Still quite a serious bottleneck going on there. Thus once again proving that getting a 1070 would be a waste since it will be held back a lot by the i7 880.

roudy-s

Reputable
Jan 21, 2017
Hey guys i dont give any importance to the first and second and all the new generation i only pay attention to play games without stuttering yesterday i played forza horizon 3 on ultra and maxed out i get 60 fps most of the time and between 47 and 56 that is great so i must say that RCFProd is right it still can handle all the new games very well and i played hitman on ultra maxed out and it was very playable so i may stick with the i7 880 with the 4 cores and 8 thredes with hyper threding on and turbo boost that will push the i7 from 3.06 to 3.67ghz i dont reaaly understand where is the difference in the cpu if i see many cpu but different model and more expensive one with the same frequency speed. I see it as marketing with the huge price

Compare a I7 880 vs a I5 2400. The I5 is a 4 core with a max boost of 3.4ghz. According to you it wouldn't make sense that the I5 outperforms the 880. This is due to architectural improvements over time.

The best example still is an amd athlon 64 at 2.4 ghz would beat a pentium 4 at 3ghz by a good bit. Different architectures allowed for different ways of achieving performance.

He already made a ne thread asking why the I7 880 isn't getting him 60fps just like I knew it wouldn't without a good oc.

roudy-s

Reputable
Jan 21, 2017
Hey man the thread is that it is getting me 60 fps and more so where is the bottleneck in this if the gpu usage is 100% and cpu usage 100% so there is no bottleneck as i can see from the usage and it dometimes get 100 fps so not a bottleneck so RCFProd is right

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador

That's fine to ask, since normally it should be close or over 60 fps based on benchmarks. When you look for the numbers in a theoretical sense, it should be capable at 3.7 Ghz. The question is, if a problem occurs at times and it doesn't perform as well as it should on paper, if there is a problem with the motherboard's VRM cooling? Maybe CPU overheating?

In such a case he'd have to monitor his GPU & CPU temperatures and Its clock speeds to understand if there is an issue with the CPU, or if everything is fine. Based on benchmarks, it should really be fine.

:) thumbs up

roudy-s

Reputable
Jan 21, 2017
Thank you my friend the best part is that the cpu temperature never goes over 61 degree after 2 hours of playing ghost recon wildlands on very high and ultra settings with vsync adaptive and the fps are great at very high settings it can get up to 65 fps on very high settings and 47 fps on ultra with max temp reached 77 degree only for one time and i see the videos of some dude on youtube who benchmark this game and see that they have the same results or maybe a little better like in stead of 65 fps on my system they get a 68 or 70 at max and at ultra at 52 or so so it is not a bad performance of my pc and thank you.