GTX 1070ti Bad Performance

Jun 14, 2018
Today I replaced my GTX 970 with a GTX 1070ti expecting to be able to play all my games at 60 fps maxed out on 1080p. After installing it, I realized that I am getting basically the same FPS as before. For example, on AC: Origins I would get around 50 fps on Ultra (1080p) and after upgrading I am sitting around that same mark. Shouldn't there be even a minor improvement?

Specs

I5 6600k
Asus B150 Pro Gaming Aura
24 GB DDR4 Ram
MSI Duke GTX 1070ti
750 watt PSU

The card runs at around 60-70 c while gaming but never anymore then 75% usage.

Drivers are up to date.

Could the card possibly not be working right if it isn't pushed into the psi slot enough (I heard one click but was afraid to put any more force on it)

Solution
If you haven't already uninstall your drivers with DDU and then install the latest version, this is par for the course anytime you replace a GPU. Next check your CPU utilization during the games you have issue, if you are at 100% a CPU overclock *may* help. As for Dual vs. Single channel RAM it's not often an issue, I wouldn't bother chasing that lead for such a large performance defecit. In fact Asus ships many of it's GTX1070 and higher laptops with a single stick, note that there will be some outliers here software wise. In addition as someone else mentioned you may be threadbound with an i5, this will only be solved with a CPU upgrade typically, but try and limit any background processes or other software such as a browser etc.

XxDarkMarioxX

Respectable
Dec 25, 2016
Question How Many Ram Sticks You Have Plugged Into Motherboard? and also have you turned G_sync Off and maybe try afterburner and put the fan speed abit up!. Also Have you tried nvida control pannel and pick your game in 3d setting and change the power management to prefer-maximum-performance. Also dose your game have an Refresher rate option or maybe turn your graphic settings to high instead off ultra

Philballer17

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
assassins creed is a GPU demanding game, and the gtx 970 has been known for its abilities to surprise users with decent framerates. Nvidia did a good job on that card so I wouldn't underestimate it. But, have you ran FPS benchmarks in other games and not just assassins creed? I'd go test other games to see the FPS gaps. That will tell you if your card is working good or not. Don't leave it up to just one game to determine that.

Jun 14, 2018

3 Ram sticks are in my PC (All the side Corsair 8 GB models). G sync is off. I will have to try turning up fan speeds on after burner. Power management is already on max performance. Changing from ultra to high doesn't do much. On AC Origins I went to low and it only brought my fps up by 5.

I did just make a discovery. On COD WW2, my gpu usage goes up to high 80s to 100 causing me to get the expected fps from a gtx 1070 ti.

Jun 14, 2018

I also checked out Watch Dogs 2. On the same settings that I usually play on, I got about 5 fps more and a lot of stuttering. I never had as stuttering problem when the 970 was in there. On Kingdom Come Deliverance, very little different in FPS. On COD WW2, GPU usage is actually higher up there (80-100) causing me to get 20+ fps compared to what my 970 got me.

XxDarkMarioxX

Respectable
Dec 25, 2016

I do not know if ram can effect your gaming but your computer is not running on dual mode and running on single if you make your computer 16GB and make the ram dual then test your games because you can see in this youtube vid person testing the games on single mode and dual mode and he getting abit more FPS with dual !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_2Z208nDGE&t=110s

Jun 14, 2018

Do you think my CPU could be the problem? Should I try overclocking it from 3.5 to 4.0 to see if that would help?

Philballer17

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009

He just said he has 3x8GB sticks. He's achieving 16GB dual channel with an additional 8GB added.

Jun 14, 2018

I am not really sure if ram is the issue though. Most games don't require that much. Anyway. I just tested PUBG and my GPU usage was 80-90 which gave me about a 30 fps increase from my 970

XxDarkMarioxX

Respectable
Dec 25, 2016

Have you got CPU-Z App On Your Desktop if you have open it up and click memory and look for channel to check if your system is running dual. Because i looked at that youtube vid and that guy getting more fps with dual channel! Also you can overclock your CPU to the Max Turbo Frequency 3.90 GHz

Philballer17

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009

Then you're fine. Just keep your drivers updated. The 1070 TI is likely to benefit the most from a system running a Core i7 CPU. So, in some games your 6600k could just be limiting its framerates. I wouldn't call it a bottleneck, just not capable of providing enough speed to see the 1070 TI's full potential.

Jun 14, 2018

It says channel # Dual

Jun 14, 2018

Do you think I should try overclocking it to around 4.0 ghz to see if I can get any improvement

If you haven't already uninstall your drivers with DDU and then install the latest version, this is par for the course anytime you replace a GPU. Next check your CPU utilization during the games you have issue, if you are at 100% a CPU overclock *may* help. As for Dual vs. Single channel RAM it's not often an issue, I wouldn't bother chasing that lead for such a large performance defecit. In fact Asus ships many of it's GTX1070 and higher laptops with a single stick, note that there will be some outliers here software wise. In addition as someone else mentioned you may be threadbound with an i5, this will only be solved with a CPU upgrade typically, but try and limit any background processes or other software such as a browser etc.

Solution
Mar 14, 2018
It could potentially be a cpu bottleneck, though it's unlikely. Getting a Z170 motherboard and overclocking your 6600k might help out some. I have a 1070 Ti too, and honestly I would 1440p would be your sweet spot as apposed to 1080p.