GTX 1080 3 WAY SLI - Need to Upgrade Motherboard and CPU

vtrixval

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014
I have recently purchased 3 ZOTAC GTX 1080 8GB Founders Edition graphics cards that I would like to form a new PC with OR without my current setup.

My current setup is:
CPU: i7 920 2.67ghz (ideally replace this with XEON or other powerful CPU's)
Motherboard: ASUS P6T (ideally replace this motherboard with a better one)
GPU: EVGA GTX 680 Classified 2 Way SLI
RAM: Kingston 16gb (ideally replace this with much more RAM)
SSD: Samsung PRO 850

Ideally the setup would be used for Cinema 4d, Adobe After effects and Premiere pro - mostly rendering software so a powerful beast will be needed. I dont game AT ALL, and only need it for workstation purposes.

Looking forward to see what you guys help me do with this!

Solution
While you can do 3 way SLI without High Bandwidth bridges nVidia no longer supports 3 way SLI, and many games just flat out wont launch or show anything in 3 way SLI.

If you are not gaming (say you are using it for rendering only as you stated) than you don't want to / can't use SLI

I would look at Intel's current offerings and bench marks for AMD's Ryzen should be out tomorrow. Some rendering programs rely more on GPU performance than CPU and others are opposite.
While you can do 3 way SLI without High Bandwidth bridges nVidia no longer supports 3 way SLI, and many games just flat out wont launch or show anything in 3 way SLI.

If you are not gaming (say you are using it for rendering only as you stated) than you don't want to / can't use SLI

I would look at Intel's current offerings and bench marks for AMD's Ryzen should be out tomorrow. Some rendering programs rely more on GPU performance than CPU and others are opposite.

Solution

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzen doesn't seem like a good option for a tri-card setup, as, from what I've seen, the best PCIe lane config you could get would be PCIe 3.0 x8/x8/PCIe 2.0 x4. Although I really don't know how much bandwidth rendering software like that requires; maybe that PCIe lane config would be fine.

Intel's LGA 2011 platform does seem like the best option at the moment, although you may as well wait for Ryzen to come out, even if for no other reason than maybe Intel will lower prices a bit.