gtx 1080 - asus vs zotac vs msi

KindaHardcoreGamer

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016
I'm looking at the Asus OC, Zotac AMP Extreme, and MSI Gaming Z.
Gaming Z is the most expensive but seems to be the best all around. Zotac and Asus seem fairly even. What do you guys think?

Solution
My Strix ran to spec out of the box and 1936 is the boost clock under OC mode, gaming mode is is 1898 boost. Box stock clocks at 1784 and 1759. The card comes with a driver disk that includes Asus GPU tweak if you wish to OC higher. And as far as drivers, all should always check for newer drivers, as nVidia is constantly updating them

KindaHardcoreGamer

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016

Heat isnt too important, nor is noise. As long as it's relatively cool and relatively quiet, i'm fine. I kind of do want to chase down those last 2 FPS, lmao. Which card is best for that?

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
I went with the Asus Strix OC and love it, just got it last weekend and haven't had a chance to really pushit, but runs nice and cool, very quiet - even running a BM, came with a great ASIC of 93.9 (which of course will vary from one card to another)

KindaHardcoreGamer

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016

i'd rather not overclock too much as it reduces the lifetime and stability of the card..

KindaHardcoreGamer

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016

(see what Tradesman said)
In that case, I may overclock a bit.

rustigsmed

Distinguished
well if you are going to overclock even mildly i would get the cheapest non-founders edition card you can get (while founders edition cards have been getting high clock speeds they have also been getting high temps and or loud fans).

as am example i have the cheapest gtx 1080 you can get in my country and i run it at 2038mhz it doesn't dip below 2012mhz or go over 50 degs C from a slight adjustment to the fan curve and a basic overclock not pushing it too faar. you can't really go wrong, most cards have about the same clocking and cooling capability.

the asus strix has a clock speed of 1936mhz (but you have to dig out the drivers to go this fast from their website see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVlT_VFI0VU )

the zotac i think is about 1911mhz and the evga ftw is 18something mhz. so really it comes to personal choice the strix i guess if you can find the driver otherwise the zotac out of the box.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
My Strix ran to spec out of the box and 1936 is the boost clock under OC mode, gaming mode is is 1898 boost. Box stock clocks at 1784 and 1759. The card comes with a driver disk that includes Asus GPU tweak if you wish to OC higher. And as far as drivers, all should always check for newer drivers, as nVidia is constantly updating them

Solution