kyle2kxx

Reputable
May 7, 2016
Hello all, I have an issue with either 1 of the following.
  1. GPU
  2. PSU
  3. Asus drivers.
Specs:
PSU: Corsair RM650x (using corsairs "premium cables" for CPU, 24 pin and PCI-E
CPU 9600k (was 7700k)
RAM: TridentZ RGB 16GB (was Corsair LPX 16GB)
Motherboard: Asus z390-E (Was Asus z270-F)
GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080-O8G
Windows 10 64 bit
All software up to date.
1440p 144hz

Allow me to explain. So a while back when I had a 7700k, I experienced low FPS in ring of elysium (as low as 30 FPS). I knew this wasn't right because I played this game with my brother who has a GTX 970 and was getting locked 144 FPS in 1080p.
I did some fiddling around in my PC, checking cables and what not which didn't seem to fix it I don't think.. but shortly after that, few days maybe, I came to play Ring of Elysium and WOAH! I actually had 144 FPS.. I though it was just a bug with this specific game, but I noticed that I had frame increases in all other games I played too. (Though RoE had the biggest impact).
Anyway, all that was fine.. until I upgraded/sidegraded to 9600k, with new motherboard and new RAM. and the problem has returned.

So, again I checked all power cables, unplugged and reinserted GPU making sure the cables were in properly (they were before but, y'know. Just triple checking!)
Anyway, after that, I boot my PC and again, just like before when I had the 7700k, I had amazing FPS (and still do). But clearly there is an issue still, and I can't figure out what it is?

Things to note:
I did fresh install of windows after installing new hardware.
Whether my frames are high and low, user benchmark seems to be giving around the same score either way.
Whether my frames are high or low, my GPU usage is still 98-100%.
It's not overclocked.
Sometimes, CAM says GPU is at 0% usage. think that is just a CAM thing though?
Using GPU-Z, I get constant vREL (which I hear is normal). I tried upping the power limits in afterburner which removed the vREL but did nothing to my FPS.
When my frames are low, even playing on the lowest settings in 720p I don't get 144FPS and GPU will still be at 100%.
I tried using DDU which did fix it somewhat, I had more frames but not as many as I am getting currently (after y'know, resitting GPU etc). But they also went back to 22FPS in Ring of Elysium that same day. This is what made me re-seat GPU.
back on my 7700k, 2 times in 1 day my PC black screened and GPU fans went to full speed? Hasn't done it since. it crashed while loading GTA a few times too (also back on 7700k).

Could it be..
  1. My power cables to GPU?
  2. My GPU itself?
  3. My PSU?
or 4. Bad Asus motherboard drivers? As I know Asus aren't the best with software so, who knows?

But the CPU, RAM and motherboard (though still the same brand) has been changed, and I still have this issue. anyone have any idea what it is?

Last edited:
Your issue does sound like something isn't properly seated in the computer. Since that sometime you have high fps and then you don't. You keep re-seating the GPU.

Is your GPU sagging at all? What does it say in GPU-Z at the bus speed? The entire line please.

kyle2kxx

Reputable
May 7, 2016
1 other thing to note. back on my 7700k, 2 times in 1 day my PC black screened and GPU fans went to full speed? Hasn't done it since. it crashed while loading GTA a few times too (also back on 7700k).

kyle2kxx

Reputable
May 7, 2016
I mean, obviously the GPU is working, 120FPS avg in GTAV high/very high settings @ 60Degrees. I'm thinking it may be the PSU cable or maybe the PSU but. my hardware is just 2-3 years old and purchased new. If that helps to know.