[SOLVED] GTX 1080 - Black Screen, GPU detected but not working

Feb 16, 2020
BACKGROUND
  • Had to work over the weekend and planned on hooking up my PC monitor to my Macbook to use as my main screen and Macbook as secondary.
  • Removed HDMI from my GPU going to my second monitor so I could plug it into my main monitor then into my Mac. Also decided to remove the DVI cable from the GPU that was going into my main monitor (not sure why I did this)
  • After removing the HDMI cable, and whilst removing the DVI cable, my PC booted up - I forgot I had put it to Sleep previously and not properly shut down, so imagine this was a result of me bumping the desk and the mouse jolting and starting it up
  • Decided I wanted to shut it down normally rather than holding down the power button, so plugged the DVI cable back in within seconds of the PC powering on, expecting to see the Windows login screen by the time I got up from under my desk
  • Instead I'm greeted by a black screen - no 'Input not detected' message or anything, just a black screen.
CURRENT SITUATION
  • When I start my PC up with the DVI plugged into the GPU and into my monitor, the monitor displays the Gigabyte Motherboard screen, with the fans on the GPU working as normal.
  • Once the initial load is done however and the PC goes to load the Windows login screen, the GPU seemingly shuts off (fans stop spinning) and I am again left with a black screen.
  • Having switched the on-board graphics from 'Auto' to 'Enabled' in BIOS I am now successfully able to view Windows via HDMI from Mobo to monitor. One thing to note though is now I have done this, I DO get an 'input not detected' when putting the monitor input to DVI which is still plugged into the GPU which was not the case previously as mentioned above
  • I can see in Device Manager that the GTX 1080 is detected and displayed as working properly.
STEPS I HAVE TAKEN
  • Checked to see if driver updates were available (none)
  • Uninstalled the GTX 1080 via Device Manager, rebooted the PC, then re-downloaded drivers from Nvidia.com
  • Checked to make sure 8-pin GPU power cables are firmly plugged in - they are
  • Checked to make sure 24-pin motherboard cables are firmly plugged in - they are
  • Physically removed the GPU, gave it a blast of air along with the PCI-E slot and reinstalled
  • Formatted my C drive and reinstalled windows
SPECS
GPU: GTX 1080
CPU: i7-7700K
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 MHz (4 x 8GB )
PSU: 700W

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020
try another port other than the dvi?

When booting up with HDMI from GPU to Monitor, I get no signal input at all (no signal received message on monitor).

Only when booting up with DVI from GPU to Monitor am I able to see the Gigabyte loading screen before it dies upon loading windows.

TRENDING THREADS