GTX 1080 bottlenecked by cpu?

commonon

Commendable
Aug 14, 2016
Picked up a GTX 1080 and it's been underperforming pretty badly on most fronts, thought it might have been because of a too low psu but now I'm on a 750W psu and it's still exceptionally low on 3dmark. With 16GB of ram, I'm assuming that the next issue would be my CPU? It scored ~5500 on 3dmark, with up to date drivers. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

specs:
16gb DDR2 RAM
i5-4460 3.20 GHz CPU
GTX 1080 GPU
Corsair CX750 PSU
Win10

let me know if you need more info

Solution
Ahh time spy, I assumed firestrike scores mate.

The scores are being dragged down a bit by your CPU.
I doubt it'll matter in real world gaming.

The GPU score is about right for stock clocks mate from what I've seen
You'll see bigger scores from other people but most are running k series CPU's at 4ghz+ and with over clocks on the 1080.

InvalidError

Titan
Regardless of how fast your CPU is, there will always be scenarios where the CPU is still the bottleneck and regardless of how fast your GPU(s) is/are, there will always be scenarios where the GPU will be the bottleneck. There always is a bottleneck. The name of the "no bottleneck" game is to make the bottlenecks happen beyond the performance level you care about.

commonon

Commendable
Aug 14, 2016

absolutely! I guess at this point I'm trying to get the 1080 to run at the level I've seen benchmarked and figured the cpu was the issue, bottleneck might not have been the best word

commonon

Commendable
Aug 14, 2016
this is on 1080. I've reinstalled drivers with ddu to no avail, if the cpu isn't the issue then I have to assume that the issue is the gpu, but I also know very little about the hardware which is why I came here

commonon

Commendable
Aug 14, 2016
or not! tried to switch out the gpu and the tab to push out the gpu busted off of my ~6 month old motherboard. if anyone has any idea how to fix this your help would be appreciated, because the most appealing option atm is throwing this shit into a lake: http://imgur.com/9rV4Q9J

Ahh time spy, I assumed firestrike scores mate.

The scores are being dragged down a bit by your CPU.
I doubt it'll matter in real world gaming.

The GPU score is about right for stock clocks mate from what I've seen
You'll see bigger scores from other people but most are running k series CPU's at 4ghz+ and with over clocks on the 1080.

Solution