[SOLVED] GTX 1080 - Downgrading from 27" 1440p 144hz to 24" 1080p 60hz decreased my performance substantially

orenl2007

Honorable
Nov 15, 2017
Hey guys. got really weird issue with my GTX 1080 gtx:

I have a DELL monitor which is 27", 144hz and 1440p.
I had to borrow it to my friend for two weeks -and switch to my old DELL monitor which is 24", 60hz and 1080p.

Out of the blue, all my games took a serious hit in their performances. I'm talking about non-demanding games like WoW classic and Apex legends. My best guess it's something to do with the geforce control panel, but I cannot really figure out how to sort this issue out.

Someone has an idea how to fix this issue? Thank you!

Solution
Your performance WILL decrease. Your old monitor could display up to 144Hz, thus up to 144 frames/sec.

Your new monitor, being 60Hz, can only display 60 frames/sec. It CANNOT display any more than that.

If VSync is on, you're getting 60fps max. That's it. You can turn VSync off, and the PC will then run the GPU faster to get more frames, but you will get tearing.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Your performance WILL decrease. Your old monitor could display up to 144Hz, thus up to 144 frames/sec.

Your new monitor, being 60Hz, can only display 60 frames/sec. It CANNOT display any more than that.

If VSync is on, you're getting 60fps max. That's it. You can turn VSync off, and the PC will then run the GPU faster to get more frames, but you will get tearing.

Solution

orenl2007

Honorable
Nov 15, 2017

Maybe it's just my eys then. Just turned on the FPS display and it shows 100+ in wow classic, but everything feels so wonky and slow.

I have a 24" benq monitor the graphic settings are on 1920 x 1080 , like you I have a gtx 1080 , the zotac version , using the stress test programs built into half life games and rockstars GTA5 I can get 144 fps unless the games are fps capped by the makers.

When you re-installed the graphics drivers did you get the g force experience program as part of the driver down load. If you did then get rid of it as it is a pain in the butt.

Delete all the nvidea package and start again , only next time go get the drivers yourself , during install choose the custom tab and untick the g force experience program box or you will end up with it again.

FOOTNOTE I found a program on the original driver disc that had what I thought was a game , when I opened it I found out it was an over clocking program , as I had never done over clocking I wrote to the makers and the individual who replied to me said and I quote , " you don't need to overclock the 1080 because under stress it has the ability to overclock itself"

I don't know if what he told me was true because as I say I know nothing about overclocking.