GTX 1080 - EVGA FTW vs Asus Strix OC vs Zotac AMP Extreme

KindaHardcoreGamer

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016
I would get the MSI Gaming X/Z but they are a bit out of my price range at the moment. (But if the MSI is significantly better than these, I guess I could get the money..)
All of these cards seem to have their own strengths and weaknesses, so I can't decide between them all. Is there anything that makes one stand out? I plan to game at 1440p, if that makes a difference.

Solution
With nVidia cards I tend to go EVGA or Asus, for the 1080 I'll be getting a Strixx unless they announce a Matrix model in the next few days. I've got a pair of 980 Strix's and a 980TiStrix and all are great cards, hence the lean to theirs for the 1080

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
With nVidia cards I tend to go EVGA or Asus, for the 1080 I'll be getting a Strixx unless they announce a Matrix model in the next few days. I've got a pair of 980 Strix's and a 980TiStrix and all are great cards, hence the lean to theirs for the 1080

Solution

KindaHardcoreGamer

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016

I was thinking the Asus too. My only problem is that people complained of issues with quality control. Zotac has a similar core clock but seems to be better in terms of quality control.
Is there any card that I could fit two of in a mid tower case?

KindaHardcoreGamer

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016

Alright, then scratch that off the list. Now, it comes down to what will have better price/performance/quality.

verynice

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
Asus have a really bad reputation for warranty. You don't have to look very far into the subject to notice how sketchy they are, but they do make very nice cards if you get one that works.

Zotac's amp is nothing special. But it performs the coolest, if you are into oc-ing.

EVGA are known to be great with after markets. They are already oc-ed,and a quite quiet, and are in stock more than the others. I have this card so take this information with a pinch of salt ;)

tigger13

Commendable
Jun 3, 2016
I have cards from both ASUS and EVGA and I can't say bad about either. Both cards are great in terms of performance, thermals and quietness. They are virtually silent even in an OC state. They also both run extremely cool under their max OC's - ASUS 1070 OC to 1974 MHZ @ 64 deg. C and the EVGA SC gtx 950 OC to 1412 mhz @ 68 deg. C. I think both are excellent performers and it may come down to aesthetics, price and availability.

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable
Old post, but I have the Amp Extreme 1080, with a 6700K i7, mine runs like a boss at 1440p, nothing I can't max out. I mostly play Fallout, really waiting for Skyrim remastered, but my boost clock has gone all the way to 2061, well above advertised boost of both Asus Strix and Zotac AE, so any other card too. My personal max normal operating temperature is always under 65*C. Fallout never drops below 60fps at 1440p.

Only issues I have are with WoW's old unoptimized crap, which I had to adjust some settings, but I am able to run with everything maxed, except render scale (100% down from 200%) resolution scaled up to 4k, and environment sliders down to 8 (from 10) also never drops below 60fps.

League of Legends has a problem rendering, but that is because my GPU is rendering it faster than it can be displayed. Capped frames at 120 and turned on "wait for V-sync" and that seemed to help.

But any game I play runs smoother than butter.

Zotac has best PCB on the market, and some top notch cooling, massive heat sinks and 3 fans. Like I said mine never gets above 65*C and max the fans run is about 25-30%, so super quiet too.
Only issue is size and weight, and it is power hungry like a boss.
You'll need a good PSU, and a GPU brace for sure so you don't damage your PCI-e slot.