GTX 1080 FE Overheating?

tlavanway3

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014
Hello, i have a GTX 1080 TI FE and when i game it gets up to a max of 85c and i was wondering if thats too hot? i was thinking about removing the cooler of the video card and replacing the factory paste with some Artic Silver 5, maybe that will help.

Solution
tlavanway3 85C is normal for 1080 Ti reference (founders) cards. 84C is normal for 980 Ti reference cards. The hard is in no danger of becoming damaged, but it will moderately thermal throttle. You could either do a custom fan curve, as iamacow suggested, or return your card for a GPU with a closed loop AIO cooler, such as EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 hybrid. Since the Nvidia refresh is coming this year, and the hybrid is now selling for slightly over $1,000 (original street price was $850) I'd probably just hold onto your current card and push the fan RPM up a tad.

iamacow

Admirable
The normal operation for the FE. NVIDIA has set the FE to operate at 85c. The fan will ramp up to keep 85c stable. If you want lower temps you will need to set a custom fan profile in afterburner. New thermal paste will only delay how long it takes for it to reach 85c.

40-60% Fan is usually 85c and 70-100% will get it down to 65c (at the most).

tlavanway3 85C is normal for 1080 Ti reference (founders) cards. 84C is normal for 980 Ti reference cards. The hard is in no danger of becoming damaged, but it will moderately thermal throttle. You could either do a custom fan curve, as iamacow suggested, or return your card for a GPU with a closed loop AIO cooler, such as EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 hybrid. Since the Nvidia refresh is coming this year, and the hybrid is now selling for slightly over $1,000 (original street price was $850) I'd probably just hold onto your current card and push the fan RPM up a tad.

Solution