GTX 1080 Founder's Edition $549 Worth It?

Apr 4, 2018
Today, Nvidia restocked with their GTX 10-series. I ordered a GTX 1080 Founders' Edition for the MSRP of $549. However, having ordered it, I did a little research into it (I didn't get a chance to do it before as they were going out of stock very soon - they are already out of stock now 9 hours later), and found that people said that the founder's edition was not very good and that the MSI and third-party versions were better. Currently, they are about $200 more expensive. Did I make the right choice picking the Founders' Edition, or ought I to have waited and bought a third-party seller's card?

Solution
they run hot from what I understand due to the blower style cooler and they can be louder due to the fan having to rmap up to a higher rpm to keep it cool. who cares just make sure you have proper ventilation and airflow in your case. you'll still be getting 1080 performance, i'd be stoked if i were you. thats still a $200 savings, whats not to like?
they run hot from what I understand due to the blower style cooler and they can be louder due to the fan having to rmap up to a higher rpm to keep it cool. who cares just make sure you have proper ventilation and airflow in your case. you'll still be getting 1080 performance, i'd be stoked if i were you. thats still a $200 savings, whats not to like?

Solution

There is the point that the blower style fan eliminates the heat from the case. Where as the other style dissipates the heat inside the case.

And you are getting a GTX 1080 for the price of a GTX 1070.

Apr 4, 2018

So is the blower style better then?

DSzymborski

Titan

It's better for certain builds than others. In a cramped case without a lot of airflow, the turbine style of fan, as in the Founders Editions, has a lot to recommend it. But if you have a roomy case with a well-designed cooling solution, the more typical fans will generally stay cooler and run quieter.