GTX 1080 FPS Problems

May 27, 2018
I feel like I'm not getting as much fps as I should be in games. I put Fortnite at all Epic settings and its only running from 110-120 fps. Also on Overwatch I have to put everything low to get past 144 fps. I feel like I should get more fps and a smooth experience with my PC.

PC Specs:
GPU: ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX
CPU:i5-8600k
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
RAM: Ripjaws V Series 16GB

Solution
no wonder.
you need to clean install windows.
major changes in hardware (cpu/board) "might" sometimes work for things like office pc or if using restoring software like True Image,
but on a gaming rig i would only use "cleaning" if gpu gets updated, never for cpu and/or board swaps.

and outside of me misreading something (you only upgraded the gpu), im out (until windows is freshly installed ;-)

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
hardware is relatively new and even the oldest driver for these would be fine and not cause probs like these.
did you do a new build, or was this an "upgrade" on a machine with parts swapped?

besides that, at 1080p with high fps, even a ti is more or less bottlenecked by the cpu.
try forcing the game to max performance in the Nv control panel and set multithreading to on instead of auto.

May 27, 2018

How do I update motherboard bios? And all my gpu drivers are up to date.

May 27, 2018

I only got a new GPU, CPU, motherboard, and RAM

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
no wonder.
you need to clean install windows.
major changes in hardware (cpu/board) "might" sometimes work for things like office pc or if using restoring software like True Image,
but on a gaming rig i would only use "cleaning" if gpu gets updated, never for cpu and/or board swaps.

and outside of me misreading something (you only upgraded the gpu), im out (until windows is freshly installed ;-)

Solution