Question gtx 1080 gpu boots with amd a12-9800 apu but will not boot with ryzen 5 2600.

stiabhan

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2014
Good Afternoon, I could use a fresh pair of eyes. My computer boots a rx 580 all the way into windows with both processors but the gtx 1080 will only boot with the apu and get only lights and fans with the ryzen 5. I started with a ASUS b350 board and then bought a used MSI B450 board. Same issue, except now (I think) the bios on the msi board is too new and doesn't support the apu chip. So, no life at all with the apu. I updated the bios on the asus b350 board to the last bios that still supported the A12 apu. No improvement. I have reseated both ram and gpu to no effect on both boards. Changed the ram out for different sticks, tried a different power supply. no effect. Gave the gtx 1080 to a buddy and he said the gpu works great in his machine. 4 or 5 months ago I tried a gtx 1050 ti and it worked fine, so don't think it's a nvidia vs amd thing. Also, I have only been using a hdmi cable, 'cause I don't have the right cables or ports on my monitor to use vga, dvi, or displayport. But hdmi works fine on one cpu but not the other. What am I missing? Any other info you would like to know?

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
please include the age of the PSU apart from it's age.

stiabhan

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2014
AMD A12-9800 and AMD Ryzen 5 2600
AMD Ryzen Stealth Cooler
ASUS Prime B350m-e And MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX motherboards
OLOY DDR4 2x8gb 3000mhz and OLOY DDR 2x8gb 3600mhz RAM
ADATA SU750 512gb SSD
AMD RX 580 8gb Sapphire Pulse and NVIDIA GTX 1080 8gb Zotac Mini
Rosewill Quark 550 watt fully modular 80 plus Platinum power supply, bought new 6 months ago
Old throwaway e-machines mini tower case I had lying around
Windows 10 Pro
LG MP59HT 24" LED IPS Monitor

kanewolf

Titan
AMD A12-9800 and AMD Ryzen 5 2600
AMD Ryzen Stealth Cooler
ASUS Prime B350m-e And MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX motherboards
OLOY DDR4 2x8gb 3000mhz and OLOY DDR 2x8gb 3600mhz RAM
ADATA SU750 512gb SSD
AMD RX 580 8gb Sapphire Pulse and NVIDIA GTX 1080 8gb Zotac Mini
Rosewill Quark 550 watt fully modular 80 plus Platinum power supply, bought new 6 months ago
Old throwaway e-machines mini tower case I had lying around
Windows 10 Pro
LG MP59HT 24" LED IPS Monitor
A few obvious things to test
You have mix-n-match RAM. Remove one set and test.
Your BIOS might not be correct for the new CPU. Update the BIO
Your power supply MAY be under sized.

stiabhan

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2014
I'm actually only using matched sets at a time, not mix and match. And the BIOS is fine because each processor boots up on the Asus board just fine just not with the GTX 1080 installed, but it does boot up with the RX 580 installed. The 550 power supply is more than enough power but I did borrow my buddy's 850 watt power supply and still no joy.

stiabhan

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2014
I'm actually only using matched sets at a time, not mix and match. And the BIOS is fine because each processor boots up on the Asus board just fine just not with the GTX 1080 installed, but it does boot up with the RX 580 installed. The 550 power supply is more than enough power but I did borrow my buddy's 850 watt power supply and still no joy.
I thought maybe it was AMD motherboard and processor just not liking Nvidia gpus but it does boot fine with a GTX 1050 ti so I don't know what the issue is.

Does the 1080 show up in windows as a device when you have it installed and use the APU?

Did your friend use HDMI or DP when testing the card?

You said lights and fans when using the 2600 does the keyboard light up (or if it's not backlit num/cap/scroll lock lights)? If so if you press numlock does the light toggle on and off?

You've done a pretty solid job of troubleshooting already so I can't really think of a whole lot to try.

stiabhan

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2014
When using the ASUS Prime b350 board and the A12-9800 APU and the gtx 1080 and either set of matched OLOY ram, that's the only time the gtx 1080 boots to the post screen much less Windows. I ran unigine Heaven benchmark on both apu and the 1080 using their respective hdmi ports and got benchmark results that you would expect from both. I was hoping to prove that the 1080 was actually providing real grunt work, not just providing a pass through from the apu somehow. The results from the 1080 were siginficantly above my RX 580 and the apu results were far below the 580, so that's good. At least we know the card works.
As for the keyboard lights, I'm using a wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse that doesn't have lights of any kind and I don't have a PS2 or USB keyboard handy right now.
I actually forgot to ask my buddy if he tested all the cards ports or not and whether he tried the gpu in an AMD or INTEL motherboard, but it is not supposed to matter, should it?
Is there a gpu microcode in the apu that is not in the cpu or something else that the apu provides that allows the gtx 1080 to boot that R5 2600 does not? I don't have a 2nd apu like a r5 3600g to test with to see if the issue lies with igpu processors vs non-igpu processors. What about PCIe x16 vs x8? Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think that the A12-9800 only operates the pci slots at x8 and the r5 2600 can do the full x16. Maybe the 1080 is partially bad and can't handle being run at full pcie strength. Maybe something to do with ram speeds or voltages. Just spitballing here. I'm running out of ideas.

I had been thinking potentially HDMI problem, but if you got output with it then that's definitely not it.

Chances are your friend was running the card in x16 not x8 though you are correct that the APU is 8 and 2600 is 16. It would be worth trying to verify that was the case. It is possible that the GPU has something wrong which could impact it running in x16 just a rather rare situation.

You could boot up the rx580 to make sure it is running in x16 (use GPU-Z) to rule out the CPU/motherboard since it's also a PCIe 3.0 x16 card.

stiabhan

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2014
Good thought. I could try booting with the rx 580 with the MSI B450m Pro-VDH Max board and see if the bios has the ability for me to turn down the pcie to only x8 and then swap cards to the gtx 1080 and see if it will boot. My buddy's computer is most likely running x16 and my 1080 booted just fine so maybe this doesn't have anything to do with it. But I will try this and see.

D

Deleted member 2947362

the apu only has 8x PCIe so what ever card you plug into the motherboard with the apu installed it can only ever run the card at x8 PCIe 3.0 at best.

if you use or can get working the 2600 CPU it has an 16x PCIe 3.0

D

Deleted member 2947362

Good thought. I could try booting with the rx 580 with the MSI B450m Pro-VDH Max board and see if the bios has the ability for me to turn down the pcie to only x8 and then swap cards to the gtx 1080 and see if it will boot. My buddy's computer is most likely running x16 and my 1080 booted just fine so maybe this doesn't have anything to do with it. But I will try this and see.
have you tried installing the 2600 cpu but installing the 1080 in the lower PCIe port?

I know ... that port is only running at x4 PCIe 3.0 but it's using the motherboards southbridge PCIe chipset not the CPU's PCIe

See if it will boot to windows and work out whats going on from there

stiabhan

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2014
the apu only has 8x PCIe so what ever card you plug into the motherboard with the apu installed it can only ever run the card at x8 PCIe 3.0 at best.

if you use or can get working the 2600 CPU it has an 16x PCIe 3.0
The Ryzen 5 2600 cpu does work with the RX 580 just not the GTX 1080.

stiabhan

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2014
have you tried installing the 2600 cpu but installing the 1080 in the lower PCIe port?

I know ... that port is only running at x4 PCIe 3.0 but it's using the motherboards southbridge PCIe chipset not the CPU's PCIe

See if it will boot to windows and work out whats going on from there
Unfortunately, both of my am4 boards are microatx and only have one x16 slot and 2 x1 slots. Otherwise, I would totally try that suggestion.

stiabhan

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2014
Do you guys think that there is something wrong with my r5 2600 and I should get another non-igpu processor to try? I've already bought a 2nd motherboard and a 2nd set ram and nothing works so far except when using the a12-9800 apu.

D

Deleted member 2947362

The Ryzen 5 2600 cpu does work with the RX 580 just not the GTX 1080.
yeah i did have a quick read through strange that ?? I'm still thinking what is causing it because it should just work unless it's known that card brand and model is known to have issues with some hardware combos ..

D

Deleted member 2947362

I not so sure it's the CPU it's working with the amd gfx

with the 2600 back in the system and the amd gfx card have a look in bios what are the options for PCIe?

do you know much about your bios and have an understanding of what the options mean and they do?

I will help if I can but you will have to do the work (reading manual and research or know about your system)

Do you have the manual to the motherboard? if not, you can download it?

Last edited by a moderator:

stiabhan

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2014
Downloaded manual and it is pretty thin concerning options in the bios. Poked around in the bios in the pci subsystem settings and found where you can set pcie_1 to auto, gen 3, gen 2, gen 1. Can set the lanes to auto, x8x8, or x4x4x4x4. And the pci chipset to auto, gen 2, gen 1. But I didn't find anywhere to set the pcie lanes to x16 or x8.

stiabhan

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2014
Did some more testing and have determined that both AM4 motherboards and the Ryzen 5 2600 are all operating fine. I tested the gtx 1080, the gtx 1050ti, and the rx 580 in a x58 intel board (pcie gen 2) with a xeon cpu equivalent to a Core i7 -950 or so. All 3 booted but the 1080 was the only one to be running in x8 mode according to gpuz. The same happened with the msi b450m pro-vdh max with the gtx 1050ti and the rx 580. They ran in x16 mode and the 1080 wouldn't boot because the board wouldn't or couldn't downshift to x8 to accommodate the 1080 and the 1080 was the only gpu to make the VGA debug led stay on on that motherboard. All 3 gpus would boot on the ASUS Prime B350m-e motherboard with the AMD A12-9800 apu, albeit at pcie gen 3 x8 mode because of the cpu's limitations.

stiabhan

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2014
So now that I have established, I think, the x8 issue is gpu related and not a mobo settings issue since the 1080 booted only x8 mode in both a AMD and INTEL board whereas the other gpus, both AMD and NVIDIA, booted on those same boards in x16 mode. Does anyone have an idea as to why that would be?

I'm surprised that auto didn't work on those boards, but did you try putting it into x8/x8 to see if the 1080 boots that way?

It really sounds like there's something wrong with the 1080. Perhaps see if there are any BIOS updates for it though those are fairly rare. I believe it won't be limited by x8, but there could be something else wrong with it.

D

Deleted member 2947362

I'm surprised that auto didn't work on those boards, but did you try putting it into x8/x8 to see if the 1080 boots that way?

It really sounds like there's something wrong with the 1080. Perhaps see if there are any BIOS updates for it though those are fairly rare. I believe it won't be limited by x8, but there could be something else wrong with it.
I did look to see if there was a bios update for his card the other day but couldn't find one so I assume the original Bios has no known issues or the manufacture would have info and update links

stiabhan

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2014
I don't have the 1080 with me today, but I did go into the bios of the msi board and changed the Pcie subsystem settings for pcie lane config from Auto to x8x8, saved and rebooted. I checked gpuz and it showed my rx 580 was now running in gen 3 x8 mode. So I hope that means the next time I am able to throw the 1080 in my rig, that it will boot now. Why it is stuck at x8 is still a mystery but at least studies have shown that a gtx 1080 has virtually no performance difference at x8 vs x16. I will update the thread with the results in the next couple days once I can test the 1080 again.

Reactions: thestryker
D

Deleted member 2947362

I don't have the 1080 with me today, but I did go into the bios of the msi board and changed the Pcie subsystem settings for pcie lane config from Auto to x8x8, saved and rebooted. I checked gpuz and it showed my rx 580 was now running in gen 3 x8 mode. So I hope that means the next time I am able to throw the 1080 in my rig, that it will boot now. Why it is stuck at x8 is still a mystery but at least studies have shown that a gtx 1080 has virtually no performance difference at x8 vs x16. I will update the thread with the results in the next couple days once I can test the 1080 again.
contact MSI support and explain the issue and ask is there a known or unknown bug in the Bios causing the problem you could also do the same with the graphics card but you might have to wait a while for e-mail reply's

Reactions: thestryker