Mar 11, 2023
So I recently decided to switch cases and go from water cooling to air cooling on my CPU, my ASUS ROG Strix 1080 is air cooled. I had it in the Phanteks evolv shift X case, so the GPU was mounted vertically behind the mother board with a riser cable. All was well. I now have it mounted in the fractal torrent nano case and the GPU is now mounted horizontal and directly into the motherboard. I am also using some cable extensions for the GPU that I wasn't before. Now when I start a game it immediately jumps from 72c at idle (which seems a little high) to a whopping 92c and the fans spin at 100% and it sounds like I am on the runway of an airport. Needless to say I cannot play games now. Not sure why the orientation of the GPU would make a difference like that. Any help would be great. Not sure if you need it but I have an i7 9700k, 16GB of ram, 700w power supply, and dark rock pro 4 air cooler. Thanks.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure why the orientation of the GPU would make a difference like that.

Before, you had your GPU in it's own ecosystem, separated from the rest of the build (behind MoBo tray). Now you have GPU with everything else and GPU cooling must compete with CPU cooling.

One of the fixes would be installing more/better case fans (preferably high CFM/static pressure) to increase airflow. Perhaps running fans at even higher speeds.

Another fix would be GPU repaste (replacing thermal paste) + cleaning GPU fans/heatsink from dust.

Reactions: Tac 25
Mar 11, 2023
Before, you had your GPU in it's own ecosystem, separated from the rest of the build (behind MoBo tray). Now you have GPU with everything else and GPU cooling must compete with CPU cooling.

One of the fixes would be installing more/better case fans (preferably high CFM/static pressure) to increase airflow. Perhaps running fans at even higher speeds.

Another fix would be GPU repaste (replacing thermal paste) + cleaning GPU fans/heatsink from dust.

Okay, so I removed the cable extensions and the GPU went down to 52c so that made a difference. I then cleaned it, put on thermal paste and new thermal pads. Now it is 40c at idle and doesn't overheat at full loads. Thanks. Wouldn't think cable extensions would cause such an issue.

Reactions: Aeacus

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Wouldn't think cable extensions would cause such an issue.

Cable extensions cause increased ripple. This, most likely, was an issue.

But if you want to have fancy power cables, rather than using extensions, use custom sleeved power cables, starting from PSU instead.
CableMod: https://cablemod.com/product-category/classic-series/classic-kit/

All 3 of my PCs, use those fancy custom sleeved paracord power cables. Full specs with pics in my sig.
Left: Skylake build with red power cables
Middle: Haswell build with blue power cables
Right: AMD build with green power cables

ZxrwPrW.jpg
But if your PSU isn't modular and/or isn't one of the compatible PSUs from CableMod, then i'd suggest replacing PSU.