[SOLVED] GTX 1080 - I7 8700 Poor Performance

Mar 10, 2021
My PC is getting very low FPS on all games.
On VALORANT my fps struggles to hit 144 with all usage being below 50%.
On GTA 5 my fps fluctuates between 20-35 fps in singeplayer with all settings low. (High or low settings make no difference in fps). All usage is also below 50%.

Drivers etc are all up to date.
Bios is up to date.
Entire PC was reset not that long ago.

My pc:
GTX 1080
i7 8700
16gb RAM
Gigabyte H310M H 2.0 mobo
500w PSU.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Solution
Cheers,
I did research around DDU and it suggested to try uninstalling drivers through windows first.
So I have uninstalled all nvidia drivers through windows and reinstalled them now.
I also updated my BIOS no less than a couple weeks ago but ill make sure its up to date again.
Thanks for all the help! Ill look into purchasing a dual channel when I get a chance.

Just want to make sure everything is alright, so is 90FPS good for my PC specs or should I still be trying to troubleshoot?
Also, on VALORANT my FPS is still 150 ish and rarely goes above it. As I'm on a 144hz monitor I can feel it dipping below 144.
I made a support ticket with the game support before and they told me it was my internet causing the fps lag which I didn't...
Hey there,

Can you set up MSI afterburner OSD to show CPU clocks/usage/temps and also for GPU the same and set system ram to show too while you are gaming. It could be one or both CPU/GPU is throttling. You can also use HWMon/Info to monitor outside of a game.

What model/make PSU do you have?

Mar 10, 2021
Hey there,

Can you set up MSI afterburner OSD to show CPU clocks/usage/temps and also for GPU the same and set system ram to show too while you are gaming. It could be one or both CPU/GPU is throttling. You can also use HWMon/Info to monitor outside of a game.

What model/make PSU do you have?

Hello,
Thanks for the response! :)

I set up MSI Afterburner OSD and will attach a photo of the things you asked for.
Whilst looking for my PSU details I cleaned my PC of all the dust, and the fps has increased substantially. I am unsure if it is still lower than it should be but I am averaging 90fps in GTA5 now.

View: https://imgur.com/C4LJf2q

I apologise for not being very good with computers , I cant seem to find anything on the PSU other than "made by channel well technology".
Hopefully that helps.

Thanks again for your help!

Jacozeelie

Respectable
Mar 1, 2019
I think you would bennifit from dual channel ram. A set of 2 ram modules as a set. Your cpu is it under load at 60°c or at idle? Cleaning pc increased performance. That means its overheating and throtteling. Decreasing performance to try to cool down. You must keep your pc clean, atleast once a month.

Mar 10, 2021
It is under load at 60c its whilst playing GTA.
I realise I should clean my PC more, im just quite lazy ahah. I will start cleaning it atleast once a month tho :).
The thing is, the only things that were dusty was the input fans and the GPU fans. Not sure if that means anything, but the CPU fan was squeaky clean.
The GPU was the thing that was massively dusty, was quite shocked at how much was in there.
Thanks for your help :)
I will look into 2 sticks of ram, anything you could recommend as im not that technical.

Mar 10, 2021
I would run ddu
Hello,

I set up MSI Afterburner OSD and will attach a photo of the things you asked for.
Whilst looking for my PSU details I cleaned my PC of all the dust, and the fps has increased substantially. I am unsure if it is still lower than it should be but I am averaging 90fps in GTA5 now.

I apologise for not being very good with computers , I cant seem to find anything on the PSU other than "made by channel well technology".
Hopefully that helps.

try running ddu which wipes are reinstalls drivers for your gpu. Sometimes some weird stuff just happens and its better to reinstall drivers. https://www.wagnardsoft.com/DDU/download/DDU v18.0.3.7.exe

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Hello,

Hopefully that helps.

Hey there,

No apologies required. We've all started somewhere. All questions are welcome :)

As we've pointed out, it looks as though there is some throttling going on, whether it's the dust in the case, which when cleaned well absolutely can make a difference to airflow, in the case, and with each of the coolers on CPU/GPU.

With that said, your screenie, shows no throttling really in terms of temps. 60c for GTA V is pretty decent. It's possibly not the CPU.

Defo agree with @Jacozeelie about dual channel. It can give a big boost in FPS. Not as much with Intel systems (much bigger boost with AMD Ryzen) but a boost of up to 15% in FPS, game dependant. So it's worth getting a 2 x kit. 16gb is the sweet spot. so stick with a 2 x 8gb kit for now, And again as Jacozeelie suggested, a 2 x8gb 2666mhz kit will do fine. Anything more, and your system won't be able to use higher speeds, and will just default to 2666mhz anyway.

Mar 10, 2021
Hey there,

No apologies required. We've all started somewhere. All questions are welcome :)

As we've pointed out, it looks as though there is some throttling going on, whether it's the dust in the case, which when cleaned well absolutely can make a difference to airflow, in the case, and with each of the coolers on CPU/GPU.

With that said, your screenie, shows no throttling really in terms of temps. 60c for GTA V is pretty decent. It's possibly not the CPU.

Defo agree with @Jacozeelie about dual channel. It can give a big boost in FPS. Not as much with Intel systems (much bigger boost with AMD Ryzen) but a boost of up to 15% in FPS, game dependant. So it's worth getting a 2 x kit. 16gb is the sweet spot. so stick with a 2 x 8gb kit for now, And again as Jacozeelie suggested, a 2 x8gb 2666mhz kit will do fine. Anything more, and your system won't be able to use higher speeds, and will just default to 2666mhz anyway.

Yes, very good point. Add to that and check bios is up to date.

Cheers,
I did research around DDU and it suggested to try uninstalling drivers through windows first.
So I have uninstalled all nvidia drivers through windows and reinstalled them now.
I also updated my BIOS no less than a couple weeks ago but ill make sure its up to date again.
Thanks for all the help! Ill look into purchasing a dual channel when I get a chance.

Just want to make sure everything is alright, so is 90FPS good for my PC specs or should I still be trying to troubleshoot?
Also, on VALORANT my FPS is still 150 ish and rarely goes above it. As im on a 144hz monitor I can feel it dipping below 144.
I made a support ticket with the game support before and they told me it was my internet causing the fps lag which I didnt really understand.
Is there anything else I can do to help the fps here?

Thanks for all your help again! :)

Cheers,

Also, on VALORANT my FPS is still 150 ish and rarely goes above it. As I'm on a 144hz monitor I can feel it dipping below 144.
I made a support ticket with the game support before and they told me it was my internet causing the fps lag which I didn't really understand.
Is there anything else I can do to help the fps here?

Thanks for all your help again! :)

So, the idea behind DDU is that it removes all remnants of the old driver. The windows function for removing drivers can sometimes leave bits of old files behind which can cause issues.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS