Question GTX 1080 Low FPS?

Wickedirish

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
Hey everyone... I'm having some serious difficulties getting games to run well above the FPS mark. My specs are gtx 10808GBOC, 32 gigs of ram, 4690k intel processor, windows 10, MSI-5 gaming board. I have been running games like Aircar on the oculus store that gives me 45 to 30 fps. Some games like beatsaber will run anywhere from 90 to 60 fps. I feel I should be well above any of those games and that im not actually getting the FPS i should for the comp im running? Subnautica runs really bad as well.... i get between 30 to 20 fps on that unless i lower the settings. Can anyone plz tell me what the issue might be? Mind you... these are VR games. Yes my card is up to date and i have the GPU setting at "preferred max performance". Any help is really appreciated.

Wickedirish

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
I dont understand... I should have more then enough CPU processor speed to play games as is? I wouldn't think i would have to overclock much more to get a few FPS. I should have already been capped past 60 fps?

WildCard999

Titan
I dont see CPU in utilization. just GPU, memory usage, frame buffer, video engine and bus interface
Odd, it should be there. Anyways I'm almost positive it's your CPU not giving you higher FPS, my previous system was kind of similar (4770K @4.4/1080 ti) and it struggled to keep high FPS in Subnautica VR but that game really pushed my CPU hard as usage was like 80%+ and when it hit 100% I would get some stuttering due to FPS dips. The only remedy was to lower the settings a bit and hope the devs worked on increasing performance although last time I was able to play was back in October of last year.

You could try a file repair via Steam and see if that helps.

Wickedirish

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
Odd, it should be there. Anyways I'm almost positive it's your CPU not giving you higher FPS, my previous system was kind of similar (4770K @4.4/1080 ti) and it struggled to keep high FPS in Subnautica VR but that game really pushed my CPU hard as usage was like 80%+ and when it hit 100% I would get some stuttering due to FPS dips. The only remedy was to lower the settings a bit and hope the devs worked on increasing performance although last time I was able to play was back in October of last year.

You could try a file repair via Steam and see if that helps.

Okay I understand that... I've heard subnautica was having issues with VR as well. What about aircar in oculus? Its a simulator I use with revive. Well the problem im seeing is that for some odd reason im dipped at 45 FPS. Could that be just because its not related to steam VR?

WildCard999

Titan
The Oculus App games should work just as fine as the Steam VR if not better. With Aircar's open world style gameplay it's another one that's going to struggle with 4 cores. I hate to say it but your looking at a platform upgrade, like the Ryzen 2700X or i7-9700K. You might be fine with the Ryzen 2600 or i5-9600K however I'd probably opt for the extra cores/threads of the 2700X/9700K.

Wickedirish

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
The Oculus App games should work just as fine as the Steam VR if not better. With Aircar's open world style gameplay it's another one that's going to struggle with 4 cores. I hate to say it but your looking at a platform upgrade, like the Ryzen 2700X or i7-9700K. You might be fine with the Ryzen 2600 or i5-9600K however I'd probably opt for the extra cores/threads of the 2700X/9700K.

So i did find my cpu utilizaiton. It was being used at 50% when i was playing

Wickedirish

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014

aye.... 67% CPU usage was being used at max when playing DOOM FVR at max settings. Recorded the data before and after... GPU at 95%

Wickedirish

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
That's actually a lot lower then expected, try this.

-Launch the game.

-Go into task manager.

-Right-click on game and set CPU priority to High.

-Go back into the game and see if the performance improves.

Right click on the game and where do i go afterwards to set those priorities? edited Think i found it.... I opened the game and set priorities on high and while it applied it did not change in game FPS for aircar.... when I exited the game and came back It basically reset the priorities to normal...

Last edited:

Wickedirish

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
Last edited: